Thursday, February 12, 2009

Jim Pace Lecture:

Jim Pace and Victor Kent

Traditionally magicians learn their craft from each other. Sharing and teaching. On Feb 10th I had the lovely opportunity to attend one of these lectures in the wonderful town of Martinez at the California magic Company...a magic dinner theater and magic shop (http://www.calmagic.com/). The teacher or lecturer is the world famous close-up magician who specializes in restaurant magic and hales from Portland....Jim Pace.


Victor and Gerry (owner of California Magic Company)

Because of our crazy performing schedule it is rare I can attend a lecture or convention so this truly was a treat. The fact that we could attend a gathering of performers in SF in early Jan then the magic castle last week and Jim pace's lecture this week was a very fortunate pleasure. Jugglin' Jim attended with me on the rainy 2.5 hour drive ...but worth it.

Jim's skills are out of this world. His humor and routines are audience tested and strong. We loved every second of the lecture. Being a public blog I won't go into detail of what we learned and what was taught, let it be sufficient for me to say there are at least two things that will be added to my repertoire. When I say that I must caveat that Jim and I have totally different performing styles so when the routine or trick finally makes it's evolution into our show (the only evolution I believe in) it will be a bit different from Jim's.

Another great thing about lectures is that the teacher always brings items to sell. Most the creation of the lecturer. Yes I partook.

While at the lecture I had the chance to meet many kind people and meet up with old acquaintances and friends. Jay Alexander and (Glenn) Al Catraz from the January gathering were there. And I met many members of the local SAM (Society of American Magicians). I also met Gerry the owner of the California Magic Company and Dr P who will be performing at the theater next week. If you want a special treat take your family to the California Magic Company on Castro Street in Martinez if you get the chance...heck make the chance.


Master Pace, Jim Pace, Dr P, Jay Alexander, Victor

I also met a man named Ian from Tasmania. He and I bonded at once since we are both of Scottish decent.

Victor and Ian


Jim Pace had his son along and though he didn't perform he was a very nice and polite young man with a keen sense of humor.




Back to Jim. He is an extremely well practiced coin and card man. His sleight of hand was poetry. I wish I could express it better but I can't so you will have to go to Portland and see him live or see if he has anything on Youtube.





No comments: