Saturday, November 21, 2009

Eddie Foy played Oroville in 1882

I edited this one because I had a typo in the title....Eddie Foy "P"layed in Oroville in 1882...not he layed in Oroville...which would be bad grammar.

A second note. After speaking with an old timer I discovered that the Opera House that once stood in Oroville stood where the lower parking lot for the Municipal Auditorium is today. It apparently was around up to the late 1940s or 50s. Gonna hunt down a photo.






If you have been following our blogs or our advertising you know that our 2010 season will have us presenting a special tribute to Eddie Foy and the Seven Little Foys. Eddie Foy was an acrobat, dancer, singer, comedian, actor born in 1856. He performed all over the United States mastering his arts. I have a bunch of historic material and to my surprise as I was reading his autobiography I learned...from his pen to my eye....that he had performed in my current home-town here in Oroville, California back in 1882. Forty six years before there was a state theater. He refereed to the theaters in these "former gold rush" towns as opry houses so I will have to find out where it was and what is standing there now. He also mentioned a number of other towns that I really never thought of as having a theater of any kind back in the late 1800s.


By the way it was in 1913 that he and his kids took to the vaudeville stage and became famous enough to have a movie made about them starring Bob Hope in the 1950's. Though the movie was very very historically inaccurate it was how I found out that 100 years ago another man set out with his seven kids to perform.


No comments: