Wednesday, October 20, 2010

I Feel like a Yo-yo!

We just drove in from SoCal three days ago and are on our way again. Three days before that we drove through SoCal on our return from Oklahoma. And after we get back on Monday, three days later we will go down again. if we weren't 8 hours away I would take the Rv and stay down there.
We are performing at Calico Ghost Town's Halloween Haunt. This is our 15th year! Always a blast. they take an old silver mine and turn it into a haunted mine filled with goblins, ghouls and monsters. Then there are the umpteen old fashioned arts, crafts and games the town offers. They read Edgar Allen Poe's "The Raven" by camp fire. And of course they have us. It's the only time we perform at Calico after dark. Always fun.
The best thing are the costumes. Sure we get tired of the "Scream" , "Blood Pulsing Skeletons", etc. But every so often there is that person who put a ton of though and money into simply spectacular costumes. But the quick costumes can be fun too, like Mermaid-man from a few years back. He will always be my favorite.
With our expanded stunts and tricks this year will be even more exciting. We are taking the tightrope so that will be awesome.
On other notes, I made reservations for Trapeze school for Jim, Miles, Victor Jr., Amelia, Olivia and our tech man Nick. They will take to the sky in November.
I also had a chance to catch up a bit with my dear friend JC Dunn today at our favorite Chinese place in Oroville, Tong Fong Low's. The owner, Sandy, has become a good friend to us and took our order personally spending a great deal of time chatting and joking with us. Good people. It has been 4 months since my kids have seen Uncle JC and they wee so delighted to see him. Jim bought JC's car a couple of years back and still owes him more. But you wanna hear what JC did. He gifted it to Jim. I mean can you believe that? What a guy. I would rather Jim pay him off but I know JC and he is hard headed about being generous. Thank you JC.
One thing JC and I discussed was our once a year to the Magic Castle. We have been doing it for 2 years now and are setting the plans for 2011. Even if my family moves there is no way in the world I would miss going to the castle with JC. I could go on my own anytime. But I have to tell you, it ain't the same. JC is a long time, live time, member and has stories. Oh, the stories, of the good old days when Dai Vernon, JC Wagner, Bruce Cevron, and the others haunted the place...when they were alive...now they just haunt the place. And the acts we see! wow.
On the home front we are fixing the house up to be sold. We are doing a massive gathering of junk to toss away, junk to donate, junk to yard sell, and junk that will move with us. Thses past three days it was the Kitchen cabnets...put them in ourselves (Miles and I). As I type this Miles is painting the ceiling in there. Jim is ironing and arranging the costumes for Calico, and the kids are to stoked up to sleep. After all they love Calico Ghost Town.

No comments: