Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Manchester Iowa Day 1

We didn't expect the storms all night long nor the rains all morning. It left a couple of small mud lakes in our backstage area.  The fair provided wood chips to absorb the moisture.
Last night was the firworks show here and boy was I loud.  I was directly behind it in my rv on the grounds...just outside of the "fall out" zone.  They like them loud here I am told.
This morning it was an early rise due to our bodies still on east coast time. Convinient, because we had laundry to do....again.
Last night just after posting my blog my laptop hard drive started making noise and then commited suicide.  Ouch, lost a good chunk of video from this summer. Still have some on a back up drive and some on tape. At least everything else was backed up.  The lost programsm discs are at home so I will suffer a bit there.
I did find a comp. Repair place downtown near the laundry. He was closed until 11:30 so I will drop it off tomorrow morning.
It's finally beginning to feel like summer. We only hit 87 but the humidity made it feel warmer. Sweat time.
Cookie the pup is growing up. He likes to sleep on his back.
We are doing lots of strolling here...the stilter, the robot, and the bear went ou for a total of 5 man hours.  Glad it wasn't too hot. I was the robot today.
We discovered the place they filmed the field of dreams is 30 minutes from here so we will visit it next week before the next fair.
There is also a nice river in town and I see a fishing day in our future.
The girls discovered stunt motocross today as the act next to us is it.  They can't get enough of it.
Manchester is a cute little town. Most everyone I have met have been nice. As the robot a few "punks" (circus/sideshow term for tween and teens) were a bit bothersome. One kid who tried to remove my helmet met the wrath of Victor Jr. He told the kid, " are you sure you want to pick on someone who you don't know who they are. But he can see you and could be five times stronger and twice as big as you.. and he could find you when he is out of costume and 'take care of you'?" The punk decided to bug out of there. Other than that the smiles and happy faces as folks met the robot and took pix was great.
Our schedule is a midday schedule...2, 3:30, 6:30 daily. A bit of a different set with half the show under a tent and half outside.

No comments: