Monday, March 1, 2010

God Bless the Broken Road...(UPDATES)

OK so I start off philisophical in this update. It's amazing how 24 hours or even less can change the direction of things. Look at Haiti or even Chili. But those tragdies, though in my prayers and on my heart, aren't the reason I sound so deep.
To understand this mood I am in as I wirte I have to go through the last 3 days.

I will skip Thursday because it has something to do with today sooooo.....

Friday: We kick our 2010 season off with our traditional kick off, Magic for Mexico 6. (Though we have performed shows through January and Februray, they are last year's programs sprinkled with some of the new things as a test of sorts.) Right before leaving for the show local TV news calls to do a piece on us at the show. I will meet to interview with them 45 minutes before the show.
We arrived at 4pm and loaded the show in, set it up, and prepared the stage and backstage areas.
Below are pictures from Friday's show.......
The Foy routine....yes I am in a dress....Victor is doing one of his gags.
Pre-show TV Intervirew

Amelia about to read someone's mind.


Miles' Doing his best Eddie Foy Jr Rubber man dance.
Titus Making a balloon into a dove.
The final Bow.
Cynthia soon to be impaled.


Jugglin' Mama

Cynthia Belting it out!

Jim getting carried away.

There were a ton of glitches in the show but the audience was generally unaware. For fun I will share them with you. The kids left our "shoe box" at home. that's a special tote box that carries all the kids' show shoes. So being close to home Jim raced off to get them....15 minutes before curtain. Since we open with the Foy number I had to change things around and have my friend Bill Jackson, who was on the schedule at mid-show, to open the show. He did a remarkable job with an incredible trick that got just the desired reaction. The crowd loved him.
By the time Bill was done, Jim was back and all of us were shoe-ed.
We opened with the Foy routine and it went very well, in spite of the fact we had blocked and practiced the dance number entering the stage from the opposite direction.
Midway through my first "magic trick" after he Foy number Jim scrawls something on my show form and headed out on stage to juggle (he wasn't due up for around 30 minutes later). I asked him what was up and he told me to get back stage in a serious tone. So I went and found Olivia being treated by a doctor friend of ours who was at the show with blood gushing from her head. She had slipped and hit her head on a prop. No tears came from her eyes and she showed her first inkling of unhappiness when I came back and asked what happened. All that blood had come from a teeny tiny little scrape. Once cleaned up she said she wanted to do her trick with Buttercup the Snake, but she passed the "O Box" duties to Amelia.
The show featured six new routines, tricks or illusions for the 2010 season. Any seasoned pro knows you don't introduce that many new things but we were in front of a home town crowd and in spite of the two little backstage blunders I mentioned things went well.
Mami juggled for the audience and had to struggle for the first time with lights in her eyes. But pulled it off well...OK she dropped a couple of times but no biggie.
A few on stage gaffs were not generally "caught" by anyone in the audience so I won't spill the beans here.
After the show we were all drained to our cores. The stress of the new things and the errors or gaffs can be worse than 24 hours of manual labor.
We got a little sleep and on Saturday we were found at the Arts center in Marysville, CA to perform at a Mark Twain themed event. They had a lastminute cancelation of their main act and we were called in. The show was smashing! It rocked. We did much from the night before and nailed them. the fact the audience was so wonderful was icing on the cake.
The good show followed by a wonderful date with my wife to celebrate the news we learned on Thursday (it's coming be patient) gave me a very good sleep that night. in fact I over slept and left to pick up the poodle late.
Sunday Cynthia, Victor and I drove 200 miles to Santa Cruz area to pick up Belle....We got a late start due to the deep rest I had on Sat. Night. In fact, I woke up at 9:30 and while praying before getting up (as I usually do) I drifted back into a very deep sleep only to wake one hour later.
She is a mini-poodle and a real girly girl. She is totally a lap dog and is house trained....yeah!
She has adapted to us quickly and is learning house edict. Soon she will begin learning tricks for the show. Not used to sleeping with a dog I had a dog days night.
Now today------first

Thursday: Mami (my wife) takes pregnancy test and it is positive. Woohoo! #8!


Well, Mami started the process of a miscarriage today. Looks like #8 is not meant to be for now. She is doing well but needs your prayers. The one other miscarriage in our lives ended in an emergency DNC. So my request is prayers.

Lack of sleep (last night) and a busy weekend and the new family member and the fact we are having a guest this week has left me tired. So prayers for me and the children too please.







No comments: