Thursday, June 24, 2010

It's Official!

At the writing of this it is official we are on tour. Granted we did go out to Wisconsin and had a couple of trips to SoCal the last month or so but circumstances (Cynthia's High School graduation) meant coming back and restarting the tour. And that is fine. I wouldn't want to miss something that important for the world!

While trying to pack we got a last minute booking for the orange Grove Festival in Ontario, CA. It is the first annual so it was lightly attended but I have to tell you it was a great event and if word of mouth spreads the news it will be well attended in the future. The vendors there were great. The food was awesome and the people really nice. (It's hard for me to compliment SoCal so these are high words of praise indeed.) LOL!

I should mention that in our videoblog of the event at our videoblog page, www.kentfamilymagiccircus.com/videoblog , you will catch me complaining about not being able to get into the event early enough to set up after being promised a certain time. I mispoke in the video and said it was the organizer who told me we could get in at 7...it was really a security person who told me so keep that in mind when you watch me whine. I also want to appologize for whining. I was tired.......no excuse, I know!

Also while setting up this week we performed for the Tehema county libraries. Three libraries (one a day) in rural NorCal. We have worked with them for 15 years. The shows were a lot of fun. Sally, the boss, hired us 15 years or so ago when we were starving performers and it is an honor to perform for them each year.

I do have one funny story. Our performing space blocks off a small portion of the library..can't be helped. But it's only for a short time and if someone really needs to get to a book we have no problem with it. But, while at one of the three libraries, an elderly man (I must add that he had full use of his faculties) came over and sat down on a chair right behind us, our backstage area of sorts; the area was cramped already for us and there was plenty of seating in front of us...we were nearly against a wall as it was. I mean it was very obvious by the equipment and my kids and the animals strewn about that the area that his choice of seating was a bad one. So after I handed the show over for Miles to do his routine I whispered to the man to please leave as we are doing a show....did I mention he was right in view of the audience...it was like he joined the show. I should also mention my expensive still and video cameras were right in front of him, unguarded.
Well, after the show he came over to me and asked why I asked him to move. I explained it was because we have equipment there and there was a show going on. It was like him walking onto a stage at a theater during the show. He asked me if I thought he would "pilfer" something. I said, "It's happened before." Then he told me I had embarrassed him. I don't think anyone really noticed me telling him to go. But he wouldn't let it go and told me I was rude to him. And that there were no signs posted to tell him not to come into our staging area. We went back and forth for a while and finally just to end it I asked him to apologize for interfering with the show. He balked and that ended it.
Where is Alf?


Amelia was able to contort her way through the ring....I got stuck.

Well, it is less than a day...nearly 12 hours until our departure. It is the first time my wife and my disabled son will be going out on tour. After so many years of performing without them will they be able to adjust? Will we? We have come to live a double life...the road and the home.
I suppose we will find out soon enough. I can't lie. It is exciting to have them. Home cooked meals on the road. My wife nearby. My whole family together. It will be challenging too. Please keep us in your prayers.
God Bless all of you and may you also bless God in all you do.

No comments: