Thursday, February 7, 2013

Hollywood Pilgrimage 2013

Once a year for the past 5 years on the first weekend in February (for the most part) JC Dunn and more recently Bill Jackson, and I head to Hollywood. More specifically to the Magic Castle. Each year we try to squeeze in as much as we can into two or three days.
This year time seemed to have moved way too fast and we seemed to had done less than any other year. We did get to enjoy a good chunk of the Superbowl in the members only party down in the bowels of the castle and we caught all six performances in the various showrooms on Sunday. On Monday we had a couple of special guest join us. My best friend in high school, the late Paul Simoni's little brother Chester and his model beautiful wife (whose in beautiful matches her outer beauty) joined us. It was wonderful to see the reactions of non-magicians when they see good magic shows close-up and person as we did at the Castle.

Both nights wee ran into a number of famous and not-so-famous, magician friends. We also made a few new friends, like young Siegfried who was on his way down to do his "performance interview" to become a Castle Member. We later found out he did well and was now a member.  

My only regret of the two days is a shame onto myself. I had one too many on Monday night and lost an hour or two of memories. Now, I am not a social drinker. I took up having a shot of bourbon as a muscle relaxer due to a tumor in my spine a couple of years ago. And even then, not every night. As a joke I have a "magician's flask" that seems t never bee empty, but in reality serves less than a 1/4 shot with each pour, with the right glass it looks like more. But that is off the point. In spite of my constant preaching to my kids and others toward temperance I somehow had one glass to many. I am not sure why, how, or when. I suppose I can render a guess as to why: it was the first time since the funeral several years ago that I have had any social interaction with anyone from my dear departed best friend of yor, Paul's, family and my guest that night is his little brother (albeit all grown up).  I think the several hundred memories like when I was sick and missed Paul with a colorful up-chuck by inches, the time we rolled   his truck on the hill behind his house then up-righted it, the target shooting in his back yard, the many times we went cruising or just hanging out,etc., well, I think I let my guard down and bam. Since I come from a family of generational alcoholics (my parents excluded) I must say the whole incident scared and still scares me. To loose ones memory for even a few minutes is scary, but up to two hours. So social drinking has ended for me. With no regrets. You know I don't even remember saying, "good bye" to my friends that night. I am ashamed of myself.

But onward top happier moments. Our walk on the Hollywood walk of fame is always a hoot. Not so much for the touristy things but more for watching the tourists themselves. So much fun to watch. Each year I also try to get my little ones a little souvignier...most are MIC (made in China) and I avoid them but if it is unique and meaningful I will pick them up something. And good ole JC can't be stopped from getting them something as well.  You can't tie that guy down when it comes to stopping him from being generous. I know I've tried. hehehe

Lunch at SoCal's PK Chang's was nice. the food was good but I am still a loyal Tong Fong Low guy. TFL has been around in my hometown for over 100 years. Started by the Chinese show came to Cali to work the railroads and gold mines. PKC's hot and sour soup was not as hot and sour as we liked so I asked the waiter to bring some seasoned rice vinegar and I added it and some spicy garlic sauce to the soup and made it much better. Otherwise the food was very tasty.  And the company of Bill and JC made it even nicer.

Outside of acting the tourist, Chinese food, and the Castle we pretty much didn't do much more this year. Which is odd because we are usually hitting everywhere. Oh well, there is always 2014.









No comments: