Friday, October 24, 2008

It's a 5 O'clock World and jerks are everywhere

The kids in front of a ouse made from thousands of bottles. Built a long time ago.
Enjoying the greatest donut in the world...frosty's

Taking a bath? Am I really nude? Is there water in there?


Three in a bath.
Victor climbs a wall.
Dead Victor?


The Ghost Haunt officially started at 5pm tonight. Our first show 5:30PM. Since we arrived yesterday we had a lot of time to kill before showtime. At first we were going to visit relatives who live in Barstow but they weren't home so we stopped by the store for lunch provision and a quick stop at Frosty's (the world's best donut...make Krispy Kreme taste like dusty sand...I mean these donut really do melt in your mouth...they're big...twice the size of KK's and not encrusted in overly sugary glaze. I mean these are great!) We then headed off to Calico to set up and kill time. I took the girls and Victor all over the town exploring and the older ones studied and goofed around. The pictures above shows a few shots around the town.

The first show was fabulous and in spite of the show happening just 30 minutes after the event started we had a good crowd. The second show was a really big crowd and they were spirited. One man had a bit too many but was a funny drunk. I poked fun at him through-out the show. Then there were three young men, boys really. They mustn't be loved at home because they spent the entire show trying to draw attention to themselves with all kinds of annoying heckling. At the end of the show one kid came over to the front of the stage to explain in his loudest voice how he knew how such and such was done. I interrupted (with mic on) and said, "That's great kids now get out of here you are annoying everyone. He quietly went. Another of the boys tried to buy a magic wand (we sell after the show) I refused his money (and with mic on) told him I refuse to sell it to people who act like jerks during my show. I told him I would sell him one if he brought a parent to me and I sold to them after giving them parenting lessons. I then asked the crowd if there were any parent who thought I was being harsh. No hands. I asked if there were any parent that agreed with me.....50 hands. So I came up with an idea. If he apologized to the crowd and me then I would give him a wand. He did. I got many pats on the back after that by parents later on. One mom even brought her kids over to say thanks for the show.


We have since tonight talked about how to handle these types of hecklers and we have decided to send the older Kent kids into the crowd to not-so-nicely tell the offender to shut up or get out. Second offense we will publicly kick them out. We seem to have the audience on our side with this. A note to any parent reading this. It is your fault 99% of time that your kid is a jerk when you are not around. Be a parent not a buddy. Train your kids to be good when you are there and when you a re not.

All the regulars Klaus the Blacksmith, Nugget Norm, the Piano man, etc are all here.

Soup, salad and Bagel night for the Kents.















No comments: