Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Enchanted Garden and more

Ever since I was a kid seeing Blackstone Jr Perform live twice and many times on video or on TV there were several things he did that I loved. The first was the vanishing Birdcage and then redoing it with all the kids from the audience gathering on stage to help hold the cage while it vanishes again... I got a hold of one when I was an early teen and have used it in almost every theater show we do. The next was Blackstone's floating light bulb and dancing hanky routine. Both I have had the opportunity to perform and maybe will make a regular part of the show...someday. Next was the Buzz Saw Illusion where he cut his wife Gay in half with a giant buzz saw...she was put back together only to scream then faint as the curtain was drawn and the stage went black only to have Harry himself step out and solemnly announce it was intermission time. Finally Harry's Enchanted Garden where he made millions of flowers a dove or two and more appear and fill the stage. Over the years he cut back on the size of the presentation. It was the original one in it's full grandeur that I fell in love with. Though the routine wasn't a Blackstone original his style and personality on stage are similar so it was his version I loved. It has been my hope to add the Enchanted Garden to the show. But the props are costly, the set up immense, and the care and time needed unending.
Well, we have started putting the Enchanted Garden Routine together and version 1.0 will be presented this summer with me and the three youngest Kent Kids performing it together. version 2.0 with more flowers and more birds and a couple of surprises is planned for November.

No comments: