Friday, May 13, 2011

Day 6! Walleye Rodeo----no horses

Walleye Rodeo, Canton, OK.

Central time is proving a little hard to get used to. But it's part of the biz.

It didn't help that the wind gust shook the RV pretty good last night so I awoke a few times more than I would've preferred. We only had one hotel room last night but move into two rooms tonight. Still I think I personally will stay in the RV....alone. I got one little surprise this morning that I could've gone all year without. Bell the wonder dog tried to wake me around 4 AM and I ignored her. So she thanked me by piddling on my coat on the RV front seat. Under that coat was my other coat and it got it too. Fortunately for me the Laundromat in Canton is seven minute walk from our venue. The waiting gave me time to check out the town. Like most of rural OK it is a small crossroads town with friendly people and neat little shops. There are many time and weather worn buildings of businesses that have long since vanished, leaving the dilapidating buildings as memory of their existence. I am seeing more and more of these across the country. It's a shame too because the style and architecture of the buildings give evidence of a once thriving good old fashioned town form Norman Rockwell's paintings.

Now there are several projects, Dam restoration, wind farm construction, etc. That means lot's of workers out here so hotel and rv joints are hard to come by out here. That is why our client put us where we are. It's a 20-30 minute drive in and out of the venue.

We had two shows today. And today was the last day of school for kids out here. That made our 3pm crowd tiny. But our 6pm show was much better. Both crowds were happy and reports have been coming in that we have a great show. Little did they know how tired we were. Tomorrow they will get a more energetic show for sure.

We will start tomorrow off with a parade. We will march with the locals promoting our show and the fellowship and fun of the Rodeo.

I'm still hoping to catch someone wrangling and riding a walleye....it's a fish.

Hmmm.....I'm trying to think back over the day and recall anything remarkable. There is that river named Mini Ha Ha. No Kidding. It runs right through town. It's amazing how such a small town can turn out such a good sized event.

Oh, Goodness. I almost forgot. Coach Davis. He and his family came to our first show. Then afterwards hung out and chit chatted. He took us to his school room/office. it is a real museum. I mean there are museums in this world not 1/100th as interesting as his. It covers all the wars, religions, cultures, and has relics of all types. it was so cool I taped it for a videoblog entry next week. I also have some still shots I will post tomorrow. Let's just say it is very cool. He is an interesting gent too. He's only in his early thirties at best and has this incredible museum, has authored a children's book, and is a former national and World Champion power lifter. Little towns hold large treasures.

I will post pictures of the town, our venue, the "museum" and more tomorrow. Canton is a great place.

No comments: