Thursday, October 1, 2009

RRVF Night 3...rain...but we dodged the big one


I mentioned earlier today that it was supposed to rain big time here. But prayer was answered and the storm cell (and it was a big one) broke off into two cells (one to the north and one to the south) just west of Paris...sparing us a very severe storm. We did catch about 15 minutes of heavy rain (3.5" in 15 minutes) about an hour before our shows. No harm, no foul: we went on just a couple of minutes late as we needed time to set the sound system up.

Though scant were the crowds (remember it just rained and all day everyone was predicting severe storms), but they were lively and fun. We also had pretty OK sales for this fair (which really doesn't say much.)
Tomorrow will be an early one again and probably a nap day. Special needs Day. Only one 15 minute 9am show then back to the hotel. The hotel staff have been real nice working with us and our schedule.
I'm taking the kids to see the Eiffel Tower....Olivia and I have seen it....uh the phone just rang.....
It was James. The fair just called...due to the really wet grounds the Special needs Day is canceled so we will get to sleep in..no nap. Woo-hoo!


By the way, you might wonder, "what do we do when it rains heavy?" Well, we run for cover, in a building, van, tent, trailer...where ever. But what if you remember you left something out? Well, then you walk in the rain getting drenched to the skin to get it...hoping it isn't damaged or destroyed. That happened today. Jim left his show costume and his personal bag outside the trailer and tent and headed of stilt walking. (He saw the clouds, knew the weather reports, so why?????? I don't know.) When the rain hit I was photographing things and he and I ended up in the same building. 10 minutes into the rain he told me about his stuff in the rain. He couldn't go (his stilts are aluminum and he is a 9' tall...lightening rod. So I went....and got drenched to my underpants. When I got there I had learned Miles saw his stuff and tossed them under the trailer to keep them safe (why he didn't take them into the tent when he was going in anyways, I don't know.) Since water was running under the trailer it really didn't help to toss them there anyways. I gathered the stuff up and stowed them in the tent. My boys are book smart, talented, dexterous, thick as bricks (sometimes)...but I love them.

No comments: