Saturday, September 10, 2011

Madera Fair (day 3) Visitors From Home

The day started with a restful night sleep and a nice quiet breakfast alone at the RV...well, Belle was with me. The family was at the hotel and all reports were they had good nights.
At the fairgrounds, pre-show, everyone worked on various acts. Victor Jr is trying to learn the unicycle, while Jim is developing a Lyra routine. Midori will be calling it quits after this fair and be heading back to Japan to take care of some personal business. She will stay at our home over our 2 weeks off until she is ready to leave. So Jim wants to take up the vacancy that will be left by Midori.
In spite of our contract calling for 2 show during weekdays and 3 on the weekend we have done 3 on Thursday and Friday and four today and tomorrow. We don't mind because we love to do what we do but it is exhausting.
Today, Nick's family and friends were here, Lukas' family came, a girl who likes Jim and her family came down from Colusa and like wise a girl who likes Miles and her Big family came down. I think the boys have mutual feelings for the girls. Still both fams were really nice people and it was a pleasure to meet them.



Lukas' dad got in the show throwing a hoop to Jim who caught it on his head in our "ADULTS VS KIDS" routine.
Victor Knnels on the wire.
The eveil eye from Lukas!
A young lady from the audience becomes the newest circus star in Madera.
Midori at work.
Nick spent a good part of the day hanging out with his visiting big brother. Nick even taught him a few things on the trapeze.
One funny incident in the second to last show was when I was performing walking on broken glass. A man from the audience kept giving me instructions, kind of heckling me. Finally I just exploded and said, "do you mean like this" then marched heavily all over the pile. Then I jumped up and down furiously, "or this" then I ground my feet in as I did a twist move like in the twist dance. I the said, "Is that what you wanted, smart allec? Now why don't you come up here and try. I later learned the audience thought is was part of the show. I just lost my cool. The guy got up and left after that. Fine with me. Luckily I didn't get hurt. Anger can make you do some pretty stupid yet spectacular things. The stunt went over big.

1 comment:

Megan said...

So sad we will be missing Midori in Calico! Glad you all got a nice personal uplift with friends and family!