Monday, February 1, 2010

Magic Castle !

Sunday started at 4:30 AM. JC was running late so our drive to LA didn't start until close to

6:30. Being Sunday, however, made for easy driving and we made Hollywood in just over 7.5 hours. Most of the central valley was cloaked in fog and to our surprise the mountains that separate the central valley with the LA Basin had snow on them.

It is cooler here than it was last year but I blame that on Global warming. I also blame global warming t my need to go on a diet.

After resting up we made the Castle just before 6PM. Dennis Forrel, balloon artist/magician/producer met us there. He would hang out with us for most of the night. To our surprise Tippy Hedren (The Birds) was at the castle and Tony Curtis was having a book and art signing event there. Though I didn't stand in line to meet him I did have a moment with him where as he was being wheeled by (he is chair bound) a young lady stopped to shake his hand, he kissed hers. He looked up at me, I gave him a thumbs up and he gave me a smile. He gave me a foot to head look over, I was wearing my tweed jacket, wool vest, sottish hat look. In the modes of meeting people I felt like we had met.

When JV alerted me Tippy was there I walked over to meet her. Sleep deprivation and my slow mind was trying to formulate a greeting (I wanted to avoid say, "loved you in Birds.) She was speaking with someone and I though I had a few seconds more before she would turn to meet me. My mouth got tied up because I tried to say, "I don't mean to interrupt." "Excuse me." "I loved you in the Birds." "I loved your work." It's nice to meet yoy." etc. But what came out was an amalgamation of all those phrases and sounded like a babble. She laughed. We shook hands and I apologized for beign tongue-tied. She walked away laughing.

I performed impromptu magic quite a bit and my nail in nose was a hit. I did the balloon swallow as well and it quieted the room I was in. Tippy saw that and now I think she is convinced I am weirdo.

I was brought up on stage to assist Matt Marcy, comedy magician. It was the late show and he had a few drunk heclers. The portion I helped with went very well and I got lots of back slaps and "good jobs" from the audience after the show.

Saw John Carney, Brandon Scott, Kerry Ross, Matt Marcy, and Danny Cole do their stuff. Danny's Show was as creative and original as always. A couple of his new things interfed with the execution of a couple of his old things. But, wow, what a creative guy.

Also met Hugh O'Brien who played Wyatt Urp on TV along time ago. He was one of JC's magic students many years ago.

Slept in late this Monday morning so we missed the free b-fast. Going to hit some local places for shopping and eats.

No comments: