Saturday, April 23, 2011

Egg Hunt - Practice - LA Fair Promoter Scammer





In a moment I am going to get very serious. First, let me mention how cool of a day it was going over to the grandparent's house for an Easter egg hunt. It was neat because no one was greedy. But in fact my three little ones helped the two younger friends find eggs or even give up their own eggs to them. I was very proud of them.
Before and after the hunt the older kids and Victor Jr. worked on their various aerial arts. Midori, a college aged Japanese girl who may travel with our show this summer, worked on perfecting a very nice dance-lyra routine. Nick powered up on the trapeze and Jim over saw the whole thing.
Yesterday Midori and Misato (the girls who will assist for our Japan Fundraiser show) came over for magic and aerial practice. They will also do a jazz dance number after magically appearing at the show next Friday.




It is the day before Easter, as it has come to be called. We call it resurrection Sunday because that better describes what it is all about. The bunnies, chicks, eggs, etc. are all part of pagan fertility spring festivals that the early church adopted for a number of reasons, right or wrong. That is not what I am here to write about right now. I only mention it in passing.
We are just back from Easter Egg Hunting at my parents house and as the children trade there favorite candies and separate jelly beans by color I think about the craziness of this past week. If you are not up to date this past week started with us ending a ten day run with our show in Southern California and didn't get paid and the promoter disappearing. Thousands were lost; thousands that are need to pay bills, and pay for the preparations of the upcoming six month summer tour. It was the first time in my life to experience, first, not getting paid, and second, loosing that much money. The promoter, David Jackson, did far worse than just not pay us. He didn't pay all the acts, stole from vendors ands sponsors, and cheated the people who paid to come. Hundreds, nay, thousands were hurt by this man.
So am I angry? That is what I was thinking about. Am I angry? I have to say I have been more sad for everyone, including myself, that angry. I want to believe that David Jackson is just inept as a promoter and the low turnout and high expense scared him so bad he ran. I can imagine his fears and pain. If that is true, he is not much of a man. A real man would face his mess, face his fears, face his troubles. But I have found there are fewer and fewer real men exist today. Watch one hour of news any day of the week and it will prove that. So I am sad.
If you read this blog you may have noticed I did not mention this over the course of the LA County Fair or this past week. I have been hoping that somehow David Jackson would man up and come forward. Sadly, he hasn't.
So I have started letting performers, vendors, sponsors, venues, fair and festival associations, agents, managers, newspapers, and everyone else to be wary of this guy. Here is the warning I put out on Facebook performer chat pages:

!!!!!!!!!!!!!Attention performers. This past week several performers including my slef were bilked out of our pay by a promoter in Southern California. He has presented many different events, often failures in attendance. He goes by many company names including West Coast Festival, L.A. Spring Fair, Orange Grove Festivals, Faithe Festivals, Revelations, (GWS Events-----the folks at GWS have disavowed David Jackson... But I list it here only because David himself claims to be an owner of the business. General Manger Tim Long has emailed me with information claiming Jackson is not in anyway affiliated with GWS...which means Mr Jackson has yet another lie in his bucket or barrel of lies. ), etc. His name is David Jackson. His wife is Lisa Jackson but sometimes uses Forsythe or Camp as a last name. He failed to pay thousands to several acts. He is based out of Victorville, CA but lists his office out of Ontario, CA. His home address in Victorville no longer his home (foreclosure some time ago but he still uses it.) He also has relatives in Arizona so be careful. He goes to fair conventions to book his events. I don't know if he intentionally bilked us or if he is just incompetent and got scared and ran. But I know he did the same to performers at an event in October!!!!!

Since that posting I have contacted the San Gabreal Valley Tribune and they have opened an investigation and have found so much dirt on this guy that I believe it may end up with him in jail. Jackson has become a master of ovelapping and hiding and covering up and now he is gone, vanished! Better than Houdini. But there is a lawyer hired by one of the acts and a newspaper chasing him down. For now the money he owes is lost and there are hearts and lives messed up because of David Jackson and his family. So I ask all of you to pray for those who have suffered by this guy and to pray for David Jackson.

No comments: