Monday, April 11, 2011

Hurray for Hollywood, Beverly Hills and Gordon Wong.

Day Off: In my many many years of doing fairs and festivals this is my first fair that took two days off. A shame too, because today was perfect fair-going weather. We took in the sights of Hollywood and Beverly Hills. But first we dropped by Covina, CA to Millie's Dancewear shop and picked up two unitards for Nick for the trapeze and biketards for Olivia (for the lyra) and Amelia (for the hoops). Nick said he felt weird in the unitards, but if he hadn't had said it or said, "Hmmmm, Nice", I might have worried about him. The hotel gave my third day without morning coffee and their shelves were bare or breakfast so on the way to Covina we hit a ratty hole in the wall donut joint. These are the best places to get good donuts, usually. But they did have great coffee. While in Covina we also stopped by a hole in the wall pet store for Buttercup's lunch....two mice. Then it was off the glitz of Hollywood. But not without me making a wrong turn on the 134 to the 101 and heading north ten miles out of our way. Even legendary drivers like me make mistakes. But rarely (hehehehe). In Hollywood we drove around first then parked near the Hollywood toy and Costume shop. Sadly nothing of interest to get there. And sadly Hollywood Magic was closed to day. But we did enjoy a hole in the wall hotdog joint and we strolled the Blvd spotting our favorite stars on the street. Belle was a hit an several tourists took pictures of the pretty white poodle on Hollywood Blvd. A film school student asked me to hold Belle up and say I love you and act all lovey dovey for a project. It was my pleasure. From Hollywood we drove to Beverly Hills and visited the Grayson mansion (I think that's its name. It's a city park but the buildings and land are used in tons of movies. We came back then met up with Gordon Wong (childhood friend) and his wife for dinner at a nice Mexican place. He gave us a package of Thai chilies since he know we are chili heads. Nick downed 15 all in one or two swallows....the rules for the record require one at a time so my record of 9 still stands. But he has challenged me so we will face off soon.
new costumes
Gordon and I

Hollywoods
In front of Lou costello's star

At the Kodak Theater....Ollie and Victor would end up wet! Kodak Hotdogs!!!!!!!!!! At the costume store in Covina...not the Hollywood store above.

No comments: