Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Plumas School Fundraiser- Elijah Craig- Etc.








After a few low months mostly spent wheeling and dealing gigs and sponsorships the performance season is kicking into gear.

Since April first we have performed 3 shows at a festival, one small stage show fundraiser for a school, bought an awesome new illusion down in San Jose that was once used in a show at the Flamingo in Las Vegas. (wait until I retro fit it for traveling show status). Built two crates, booked the Louisiana gator Festival. Setting up a pre-tour mini tour that will include AZ and two OK gigs. And then there is all the little things that have happened in and around all that.

For example I spent a hour on Skype with a magic -clown friend in NY and chewed the fat. Then My dear friend JC Dunn came over for lunch. We manage (French for eat) at Boss Burger in Oroville (Best Burger in town) and shared some laughs. In the mean time Lukas, a good friend of Jim's, presented me with the coveted Elijah Craig Bourbon, that up until now I couldn't find outside of Kentucky...it is the top of the line! Then in a mad rush we prepped and got over to Plumas Ave School here in Oroville. In fact less than a mile from the house. (I bet the gas bill was still an arm and a leg!)

The show itself turned out pretty nice. Nearly a sell out with only a few open seats!

The kids and animals did a bang up job. Belle the wonder dog is an amazing animal. It's hard to believe she is the same dog from when we got her a year ago. She is so personable now. Her jumping skills are off the chart good.

Amelia did her hula hoop routine and though it needs work the "in front of the audience" experience will encourage her to really work at it. Likewise Victor, Who nailed his diabolo routine on Saturday's shows, was a bit off. But the audience was forgiving, and who can resist his smile. Besides he made it all up in his 100' rope tie stunt. It took the four members of the audience 4.20 minutes to tie him up and he broke his record getting out in 9 seconds. Perfect record so far with over 100 tie-ups so far.

The Chili Pepper stunt to start the fire-eating really gets gasps and was worth the investment. But like all tricks I buy from someone I had to make some adjustments to fit my style . The wows and awes I get when the bottle bursts into flames is really nice.

My friend Bill gave me a great flaming torch to feather boa umbrella trick and we worked it into our new dove appearance trick with princess Olivia...another Gasper!

Jim brought back his MC Hammer routine and it rocked the house.

I wanted to start the show with my Blackstone Birdcage vanish but was having a tough night in practice with it so I shelved it for the show. It's the same type of cage Harry Blackstone used.

In this whole process a client for a large recycle firm has been inquiring about using us as their spokes-show for schools to promote their company and recycling. So in between all of the above emails and phone calls have been flying across the air and Internet working on that. Like all such deals I don't count it as real until the contracts are signed.

I have to confess I have gotten a bit fat and have found my show pants tighter than the end of last season. I also tire and ache faster. Age, Laziness, out of shape...all of the above?????

I need to brag about Mami here. Since the show was close to home she delivered to us wonderful backed chicken and onigiri (Japanese rice balls, the kids' favorite) a few minutes before the show. Wow. It was fantastic. If you didn't read the blog about her being the world's greatest mom....do it.

No comments: