Sunday, July 12, 2009

London to Bowling Green

Butterfly catching yesterday.
No Along the driveway at the Corvette Museum the signs read "No Burning Out!"
Love it!
Jim Showing off (with permission) at the Museum Lobby.

At the musuem entry port.


We slept late and awoke to a very humid day. It was noon when we got out of the hotel...the one that gave Amelia Flea bites the first day and left my room out of the wi-fi loop. Still It was alright and the employees were very nice. In fact, the night clerk always had the lobby turned on to Pastor Mellisa the first two nights when I came to the Lobby at 1am to do this blog. The next couple of nights it was the Ghost Adventurers and then the Sci-fi channel. On the last night before her days off (which she later told me was the start of her vacation) her husband and son (a hearty 18 year old) came down to visit. I tried to avoid eavesdropping but there was one thing the Hubby said that made me laugh and I had to apologize. In referring to his son he said to his wive, "if you want to confuse "insert son's name here" tell him to pee in a corner and put him in a round room. After apologizing for listening in I got permission to use the joke.






This morning as I sat in the lobby checking e-mail a nice gentleman for Louisiana was sitting near me folding an hanger up in preparation for what I could only assume was to break into his car. Upon inquiring it turns out that was just what he was going to do...they lost their keys but his wife had a second set in a bag in the trunk. later when I was taking a load out to the car I saw him at work...I asked if he had ever done it before...he hadn't. So after I put the load into the car I went back and with a few pushes and tugs I had the door open.






Loaded and on the road I had to readjust to driving while pulling a trailer. (It was parked for 5 days so i was a bit rusty.)






With a quick stop at Walmart for ice we were off on the 2.5 hour drive to Bowling Green with a bonus...we got one hour back as Bowling Green is in the Central time zone...wohoo!






We checked into our hotel, dined at Hardees (West coast it's called Carl's Jr) and then headed over to the Corvette Museum. Everything you ever wanted top know about the Corvette, the people who made them, the people who raced them, and some people who crashed them. It was entertaining. We were expecting to pay a ton of money even though we had a coupon for $2 off for each of us over 17 (By the way I had an extra coupon and gave it to a couple coming in behind us.) but the cashier pointed out that for $20 we could get in on the family special. Wo-hoo! As a thank you I did a magic trick for the clerks and the guests and James balanced a pretty heavy sign on his face.






After a couple of purchases in the gift shop we hit the road for Beech Bend Park and arrived under ominous skies. We found our staging area (a giant 60 foot round gazebo like structure) and started to set up as a rain began to fall and the loud speaker announced an early closing due to severe conditions approaching. Severe was an understatement...the loudest thunder I have ever heard (and I have heard many a mid-west and Texas storms) very bright lightening and the hardest sustained rain I have ever seen. A steady heavy flow for nearly 30 minutes...the grounds around our stage were under 6-12" of water. Still we laboured (the boys in particular) and got the general structure of our stage and drops set up. The little ones hit the rides and were basically caught in the rain coming to the show shelter drenched. Victor was the last as we had no idea where he had went off to. We weren't worried he was with the owner's grand kids and was on the grounds...but where? He was the smart one and was in a building when it hit. But we didn't know so I sent the three big boys out in the deluge to find him. They did and the four sopping soggy pants came back ten minutes later soaked to the skin.






Walmart was the location of our dinner shopping and the purchase of a toaster oven just adds to our arsenal of cooking gear.

No comments: