Thursday, July 16, 2009

Miles' Birthday...Bumper Bender...Pink Gorilla

oops!













We made a nearly full page spread in the Daily News.
Under the Magnolia shelter - one of Beech Bend Amusement Park’s original structures - Victor Kent allowed fire to dance across his tongue before swallowing it. Then using an alcohol-based agent, he blew on the fire, making a blaze extend outwards.Wide-eyed, 5-year-old Matthew Phillips turned to his father, Steve Phillips, and asked, “Can you eat fire like that, dad?”The Kent Family Magic Circus is made up of six children and one adult providing a variety of magical tricks and illusions to keep those under the shelter entertained - from fire breathing to levitating to juggling fire while on a unicycle.The Kent Family Magic Circus started performing at the park Monday and will continue through July 26 at 1 p.m., 3 p.m. and 5 p.m. Mondays, Thursdays and Fridays; noon, 2 p.m. and 4 p.m. Tuesdays and Wednesdays; 11 a.m., 12:30 p.m. and 7 p.m. Saturdays; and 2 p.m., 4 p.m. and 6 p.m. Sundays.The family circus was brought in as part of the park’s Kid’s Festival - something special designated for children before they have to return to school, said Beech Bend spokesperson Charlotte Gonzalez. She said while they have entertainment almost every day, the Kent family is something different.And the family is no stranger to the park; this is the second year they’ve attended.“I got an e-mail from them and it was the picture of all the kids that got me,” Gonzalez said. “We brought them in and fell in love with them. They are a very nice family. They are so entertaining and the crowd loves them.“People will see things they haven’t seen before, especially here in Bowling Green.”Originally from Oroville, Calif., the family has been traveling all over sharing their magical talents.“We got word we had a lot of people asking for us to come back,” Kent said of returning to Bowling Green. “And we came back. California has done away with the small amusement parks, and this is a nice place to come. It’s really family friendly. It’s just one of those places you don’t see anymore.”A professional magician at the age of 16, Kent has been performing magic for many years, and as the children came, they wanted to be part of the show, he said.“It’s a family thing,” he said.“We don’t know anything else,” said James Kent, 19.Each Kent child, ranging in age from 3 years old to 19 years old, has their own talent. James juggles, balances, stilt walks and rides the unicycle; Cynthia, 17, levitates and gets cut in half; Miles, 15, does the bullwhip and lasso and the bed of nails; Victor Jr., 8, is the escape artist; Amelia, 6, does mind reading; and Olivia, 3, makes animals appear, including her pet python Buttercup.Victor Kent said they try to provide “clean family fun.”“I’ve never seen another act that has this much variety,” Gonzalez said. She said having the Kent family is an added entertainment value since the show is included in the cost of park admission, she said.Adult admission to Beech Bend is $24 for adults and $21 for children.“Families get a lot of entertainment value here,” she said.That statement rang true for the Phillipses, who came to the park from Smithsfield, Tenn.“We wanted to get our son out the house for the day,” said Steve Phillips, who was with his wife, Aleta, and son, Matthew.The family found themselves under the Magnolia shelter, watching the Kent family work their magic - Matthew completely in awe, especially with the fire breathing and juggling.“He liked that part,” Steve Phillips said, with a slight chuckle. “He wanted to know if I could do that. I told him, ‘Daddy’s not going try that.’ ”Steve Phillips said he’d come see the family act again.“I enjoyed the show,” he said. “I liked the way he interacted with the crowd. I thought it was interesting, and it kept my son’s attention, which was really good.”




Today is Miles' 15th Bday and he awoke to streamers and balloons (the boys decorated his room while he slept) I need to find out if they took pictures. More on the birthday.

Today for me was day two of laundry. After 4 loads and finally two large empty laundry bags I was ready to drive back up to the park (from their camping area which houses the laundry room0. As I backed up my backing sensors beeped and bump...I hit a ford truck and bent it's bumper...I was only going less than 5 mph...and it bend....by bumper didn't even scratch...I mean nothing! Oh well. No one saw but I knew I had to tell the owner and I found them doing laundry. (Earlier I noticed these two ladies because as I sat reading waiting for the dryer to finish one of them spent a lot of time hacking and coughing a horrible horse cough....I was a bit worried about catching something.) Anyways, the truck belonged to the husband of one of the ladies and she shrugged it off as the license plate was the only thing that looked bent. So I gave her my card and told her to have her hubby look at it and call me. Welllllllll, after and hour there was no word and then the boss-lady of the park came up and said a sheriff deputy wanted to see me out front. I went up and he (a very nice guy who was rolling his eyes about the whole thing) said the hubby who owned the truck had tried to reach me and the park wouldn't let him in so he called them. He said he would drive me down to the guy....I asked if he would handcuff me since I would have to ride in the back...he didn't. But he did turn the lights on for me. It was cool. Down there the hubby and I exchanged insurance info and he told me that he had told an employee to contact me....none did (until about three hours later... a temp who helps with picnics...she came up after our show and told me, "some guy told me to find you but I was busy and couldn't contact you until now. " (A real winner here!)

Anyways all insurance stuff has been taken care of and I now have a great story to tell.

The shows were great....so far not a bad one...knock on wood.


Even after a crazy night of thunder and lightening and an overcast morning there was a nice turn out. Several large groups of kids were out an about. The first show was shoulder to shoulder and no sitting space. Great reactions too. By later in the day the crowds had lightened. But we still pulled them in.


We added target whipping to Miles' routine. That's where I hold a folded sheet of newspaper and Miles whips it and tears it in two. Then I take the folded piece and he whips it again. Making the target smaller and smaller. Well on the second whipping he got my arm pretty good leaving a 12 inch welt.....thankfully I was wearing a jacket.
The girls both got a toy stuffed puppy dog from the Rock and roll review show next door. They sing Elvis' Hound Dog then give an audience member a stuffed puppy. In two shows in a row each girl (Amelia and Olivia) got a dog.


For Miles' Bday we had quiet a day. After the shows Miles put his Pink gorilla suit on went to ride rides in it. It was hilarious to watch. When he returned the park boss and her kids presented Miles with a birthday cake. It was tasty. The candles were the relighting type.
The boss lady met us at one of the rides with her golf cart and the whole group of us jumped on and rode back. Then we partook in the cake. It was nice!

Then we hopped in the van and ended up at J Boys...a very tasty family diner. Miles was very pleased with his meal. He wore the vest his grandmother and grand father got for him as well as the WKU t-shirt and shorts he got form me. (Victor's bday is in a week and he wants to eat there too.)
We are finally getting used to the schedule...but I miss my wife.....oh hum.











It would be nice if somehow we can afford an RV so both my wife and Titus (my disabled son) could travel with us in the 2010 season.....We will see how things work out.












No comments: