Monday, July 27, 2009

On the Road....Again

Well, we have made it as far as Lamar, PA on our way to New Paltz, NY...only 4 more hours to go. We spent most of the day diagonally crossing Ohio and even past the Good Year Factory. In PA they have signs on the highway that read, "Buckle up the next million miles."
We nearly had a repeat of Wyoming 2000 when we stopped at every exit looking for an available hotel but like Mary and Joseph there were no rooms at the Inn...we are 75 miles past where we were hoping to stop where we finally found rooms. The Clerk, who was also the night auditor, seemed a little out of sorts so i related to the days when I was the weekend night auditor at the Hilton in Newark, CA so so many years ago. Then I told him about our family show and did a trick....I hadn't done it for years and really have to credit my old friend Eddie Rapoza for teaching me it. With both hands obviously empty I mime that I am sewing my fingers of my left hand together. Still very empty I mime running the thread through my thumb and pulling the whole hand into a fist. I then mime scissors with my right hand and cut the string loose an my left hand opens to show a gold dollar coin (one of the new ones.) I gave it to the clerk...he knocked about $40 off our bill. His name is Jim and he is a hecka nice guy to chat
with.
He was out of sorts because an employee had taken part of the computer in the office home to clean it...turns out it is the computer the night reports run off of...he doesn't get to close today's books....frustrating. He said the chat and the magic made his night and he felt a lot better. On the way in with our stuff James balanced a heavy bench on his chin for him.
The kids and the animals are all doing well. A high light for them was the stop at the DQ to get ice cream treats....filled me up so much that I forgot to stop for dinner and since everyone slept...no one reminded me soooooo I guess it is a big Bfast tomorrow.

No comments: