Sunday, August 3, 2008

August 3 Babies-rain-fries-lost girl

Feast
Olivia fell asleep as we were loading up. The amazing thing is that while we were doing this the headline band was playing very loud just 50 yards away.
This wood paper towel holder was given to me by a nice gent from the local grange who saw our show several times.
Miles making friends.
A Carny stealing some ZZZZZs
Victor and a friend.
This is Chaz...he is a light tech for the main stage. He performs the fire-staff as a hobby...we let him do it in our last show. He is good.
The Grange folks...the man on the left made the paper towel holder. They were great.

Today was the last day. All three shows were full...show 1 (11:30am) had the smallest of all audiences so far ( not unusual for Sunday morning) only about 120 people. The second show was full tent and the last show had overflow to the big stage seats and 6 or 7 rows deep along the sides and back. The manager came up to me after the last show and said we had more people than the headline act tonight. He also said there was only one complaint, We were the best act ever at the fair. Wow. What a compliment. (I should mention everyone here is a joker so his complaint was really a compliment for those of you who didn't catch that.) We live by one axiom in our family.....forget the compliment quickly and don't be cocky....God has a way of humbling his children when they believe their own press.
Today started with the same difficulty of climbing out of bed. The choices for the breakfast at this particular hotel had gotten old by this morning and no one was eager to eat it. We arrived at the fair grounds and started setting up when a face we never met, yet was an official at the fair, came up to us to inform us the "Baby contest" was going to take place on our stage. Surprise. I found out from the office a few moments later (after I walked over ) that the baby contest was indeed going to be on our stage, would we lend them our sound system and would I mind MCing. I agreed (they bribed me with a Dunkin Donut and free food passes for the fair.
So I Mced the contest. It turned out to be the biggest baby contest they ever had. It was also very cute and very fun to do. I found out the best jokes were the ones where you make fun of the towns the people are from. I wanted to use one line but my better judgement stopped me (warning I will use a cuss word, in it's proper use) Each paper has the parents name , address, the child's name and a write up or funny story or cute anecdote. I wanted to say when it was obvious the baby was born out of wedlock the following: "And that was Johnny, wasn't he a cute little bastard." I didn't use it. Forgive me.
The baby show ran late...that MC just wouldn't get off. And so the first show started late.
Amelia went around telling everyone it would rain today. I told he to stop telling people that because, obviously it wasn't going to. there was only a 20% chance. Well, by mid-day it rained for about 5 minutes. Amelia made the point to tell me, "I told you it was going to rain.You said it wouldn't".....my little psychic.
Amelia would give us a little scare later on. She and Victor had made friends with the sand art people 's kids. Well they three little girls decided to go look at the bunnies. They didn't tell me or the sand people's parents. They were gone a long time and search parties we sent out. Even Victor and his boy buddy went out looking. They were found later on in the commercial tent in the incense booth. Whew!
We took advantage of the food tickets given to me that morning and got hot dogs, Gyros, cheese fries, gravy Friends, fried dough, lemonade, etc.
We hit the road tomorrow...we are all packed up and ready to go.

No comments: