Monday, August 4, 2008

August 4 The drive back begins

We slept in today...we got up at 8:30Am (that's 5:30 to those on the west). James and I went to the fairgrounds to pick up the trailer. The fairgrounds looked like a movie set after a fair leaves: tipped over trash barrels, an occasional trailer preparing to leave, stray garbage here and there, an occasional napkin blowing by like a tumble weed, a helium deprived balloon skimming the grounds. As we hooked up I saw the manager and went over to thank him. He was very nice and told us they were pleased with our show and that many people had expressed interest in having us back next year. That makes all four clients expressing interest in having us back. It is very humbling and gratifying to get such reactions. We also have a ton of fans sending email and visiting our website.
I have pictures for today but the camera is in the van and the van is three floors below, I'm in my underpants and I just drove 12 hours.....so....pictures will be published in the next posting. By the way, we are in Indiana....Fremont, Indiana. A big thunderstorm and tornado's are just south of us and should miss us but the emergency radio reports have been relentless.
Today's drive from New York through PA and finally across OH didn't feel like 12 hours. We made good time and with the exception of a slow down for road work here and there the drive has been uneventful.
I do want to share a memory from a couple of our 5 pm shows. (The 5pm shows or the 3rd show is our weird show...it has the walking on broken glass, balloon-sword swallowing, fire juggling on the 5' unicycle, fire-whip, Amelia does mind reading of adults, breaks a light bulb with her mind, etc) The jokes are edgier too. One of the 5pmers in New York there was a tween-aged boy who kept hollering out whenever he felt and often inappropriately. Finally annoyed enough, during the chain through neck, he said, "Hurry up with it." So I said, "fine you wanna do it?" He hesitated then he started to come forward. I then blurted out at him, "Oh, go away you little snot!" He slinked back (didn't leave) and was never heard again. (The audience reaction was great...they laughed and clapped.)
The second story is kind of a joke that developed over time at the NY fair. After informing the audience I am from Cali I would then say, My governor can beat up your governor. Then I mimic Arnold and call the NY governor a "Girly-man". Eventually I remembered the NY was a blind guy. So insensitive me added the following line after saying, "My governor can beat up you governor". I then said, "any one can beat him up" then I said, "Here I am governor..."(then a dip out of the way implying that if I was fighting a blind man and said that then dipped away he couldn't lay a glove on me) then I called him a girly man....the crowd loved the joke.
I don't think I can pu another coherhent setence togeth...er....so tired....
...................................

No comments: