Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Still in Kentucky

It is warming up. OK that is the weather for now...but trust me it will change. Maybe rain tomorrow.

The show: as you know our gamble to come out early and work with a great production company for the World's biggest indoor Kid's Fair paid off....we are hired again for next year and they said they will help us fill the slower month of March.   ALdo I got a call for a one day event in MO but due to it being a very short gig (2 hours) it wasn't worth the drive but we are on their radar no and they want us for an Event in May. Yay.  To fill in the giant hole called March, and a little April Jim has gotten us some library gigs that will at least cover living costs until the big shows kick in later down the road. He is also reaching out to a number of other non-typical markets as well as smaller markets to likewise help fill the holes.

I want to thank our most recent donor. A family who has watch us perform since 2003 have helped us with a donation to our Paypal account. We have had the opportunity to bless them with shows and even though they have blessed us by being a wonderful audience over the years they also blessed us with money to help keep our show afloat.  It's going to be a long one so I am throwing pride out the window....if you want to help us keep the show running along go to www.paypal.com then just send your donation to victor@victorkent.com.     It is not easy to ask folks to help. But we love performing and our clients want to hire us but sponsors are bailing on them. They are having trouble meeting all the new federal, state, and local regulations and fees. It's like the government has become a wild money eating machine. Over 3000 fairs, festivals, and civic events have vanished or on the verge of dying over the past six years. I want to give the ones still afloat a great quality show without killing them by charging them an arm and a leg. I can't do it. I guess I am too Christian, or too human.

I am sorry that I have painted our situation so dyer. But the USA is what it used to be and the free markets aren't free anymore. Our family has never tried to get maximum dollar for our show because we love to perform and we know many of the small markets that would otherwise never get a quality show so we sacrificed hot tubs, trips to spas, hookas, a swimming pool, name brand clothes, etc for something better; we take the talents God has blessed us with and we share it with others. And we keep our rates low.  I will tell you why. When Cynthia, my eldest daughter was very young, she wanted our favorite clown to come to her birthday. She was too expensive, so I did a deal exchange with her and worked it out. And I even mustered up a tip.   I knew that there are tons of kids out there that want a fun show.  I know that with what people have told us we could charge more. Several agents have told me we could get 3 or 4 times what we are making. We have turned down exploitative TV like wife swap, America's Got Talent, etc. where we we guaranteed good money (I know the show make it appear that only the winners get paid. Not in all cases if you negotiate well).  But to do those shows the producers wanted full control and that included trying to make the kids cry or be emotional (real or not).  So I said, "No".  I am sick of what passes off as reality family entertainment.....by the way "reality" is used very loosely in every one of the shows.....and here is a hint...in the shows where a strange walks up or is walked up too you may notice that you can hear them. They are wearing microphones.   Wide shots show that there is no boom mic so it has to be pre-arranged.  There are many many many other clues.  Tell ya later.


Now the day:
The kids did their first full work out in a while and everyone had sore muscles. Then after lunch we went back to Reba lake to hopefully catch some fish....no luck. We did find a great bait store (50 minnows for around $1.50 called Cain Pole in Richmond, KY.   Rob, the owner is a great guy.  

When you are fishing and not catching the day sure slows down.  In the end Olivia lost about $5 in gear due to casting into trees or bad knots. And  as we all know she DOES know how to tie fishing knots.

Mami fixed corned beef, cabbage, potatoes,and carrots. I know that is generally food tied to St Pat's day but since it was the day after it was OK. And no one wore green.  It was delish.....but we had to pepper it up a bit because the Irish have no concept (like the Brits) of flavor.

After dinner the kids made a fire but only had a little time to cook up some goodies and get in for bed....we may be a traveling show but we are producing super smart kids by keeping them away from public school (sorry for the jab, I know there are many wonderful public schools) but home school is 1000% better and they have lots of studies tomorrow. So early to bed.

Shout out to JC, my best buddy (along with Bill) who tired to donate some money to us but doesn't understand Paypal.....he has been a benefactor to us for so long I have withheld the info fo how to do it so if he asks just tell him you don't know.   He is the daddy of  Little Girl andTator Tot's fist puppy, Cookie.  Hey JC you told me you got his hair cut ....send me a pix so I can show hi off.

I also want to shout out to my folks. My Mom could always use all of our fan and friends' prayers due to a number of little medical things that pop up and I know that prayer works so "pray with out ceasing" (anyone know that bible verse?)











No comments: