Saturday, August 6, 2011

Day Off...Camping.






There is a lot of history out here. We are camping just a few hundred feet from where the colony of Transylvania was founded By a guy name Henderson and Daniel Boone. At the same place was held the first Christian service in Kentucky by the very same people. They built a fort here (not the same one as the civil war fort we saw across the river yesterday) here in the mid 1700s. It's amazing to camp here. Since we have a couple of days off, why not?!
Funny story. I noticed as the kids finished packing up the show this morning (we waited til morning to allow the stage and drops to dry from last nights rain) I noticed the tread looked funny on one of the big trailer's wheels. Yup, it was tread separation so we drove downtown to find a tire place. The first place was sold out of the tire we needed but Wal-mart was next door so we gave it a whirl. They had the tire. In fact, several choices of the tire size I needed. Sadly the older woman helping me had no idea what the difference between each tire was, nor did her fellow workers....I took the most expensive one, just in case. However, for trailer tires they don't allow trailers in the garage portion and they can't change it in the parking lot. They would lend me the tools to take it off and I could remove the tire then replace it. The young man who brought the jack and tire-iron ended up helping me in spite of his boss' order. Nice guy. The woman who helped me seemed rather put out at having to work and she was hard of hearing. I had to repeat things loudly several times. At the end of our transaction she said, "Enjoy your stay here in Kentucky". I said, "Already have been", as I walked away. I looked back sensing her staring at me. When our eyes met she said, "Yeah we have football". "You do have football. Good"< I said confused. Then it hit me. SHe thought I had said "Do you have football"....not "Already have been." I had a good giggle to myself.
Taco Bell for lunch for all then the short drive to Boonesborough. From that point on it has been DAY OFF. Frisbee, walks, playgrounds, a concert at the rec hall, fire pit, sausage and wiener roast, etc.
Today the girls were talking about their mom's age. Cynthia said that she looked around 29. Amelia said Mami looked 19, and Olivia chimed in saying she looked 46....her real age. From the mouths of babes.


No comments: