Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Expensive day.

Sunset over the smokey skies of Texas as it burns in the drought out here. Amarillo!
I'll explain the pictures in a minute. But first an update on the automobile problems. As I wrote yesterday I got new back tires for the van. This morning was an early riser day so I could get the RV into the shop. The fam would wit things pout around the RV camp (pool, ping pong, walks, buffalo viewing, etc. ) The shop was right next door to the camp. So my commute time was less than 2 minutes so I beat the shop owner and his crew to the shop. As I sat in my RV waiting I saw a big bushy Dog hanging around the the front of the shop. He was the shop's dog by default. The owner arrived and jumped on my problems right away. I explained the tests I did with the help of my hometown friend, Mr Butler, who owns a shop back home. While we talked the shop cat came out. She went to the glass front door and started annoying the dog through the door on purpose. It was hilarious. Seems every auto shop has a pet cat. Again, by default.
An hour later they told me the diagnostics indicated trouble with either the sensor in the differential or with the gear the sensor interacts with. So we opt to change the sensor anyway. I also order a brake job as the pads were looking pretty bad. There was also a squeak in the front left tire and the emissions diod was on. His test there showed nothing special on the squeak and the emissions problem was bad gas...my RV hates ethanol.
While waiting I did a supply run to the store then I stopped by an RV sales place. I was looking for an RV I saw last year and liked a lot. They had one on the lot. A Fleetwood Storm 32BH class A motor home. Big and stable with pull outs and a breakfast nook that turned into bunkbeds. With the pullouts out the kitchen area is huge and the ceiling above the driver's seat comes down and turns into a bed...rare in class A RVs. Only $79K...anyone want to give me $79K?
I got to play Mami a game of Ping Pong and happy to report she kicked my butt.
I want to make a note about the Rockwell RV Camp in OK City. It is awesome, affordable, clean and the staff is great. The owner is a really nice man. Back in May we stayed here one day and saw the ground work for a new section of park being laid out. Today we saw the finished product. It has come a long way. Also I remember there was a large mud puddle near the Buffalo pen but that has long since given way to the drought and is a dust bowl now. 100+ degrees today. Dry heat. But tempered by a wind coming cross the plains. My cuticles are shot.
We got the RV back around 2:30 and were on the road. We wanted to make Amarillo tonight. Everything was going along swimmingly but around 3 hours into the trip the ABS and brake light came on again. With no loss of pressure or braking ability I am convinced a sensor is getting a wrong reading or is fouled. When we got to Amarillo we took the front tire off and cleaned the brake pads and rotor and killed the squeak..hopefully that helped fix the problem...we shall see.
Since we got here near 7pm everyone was starved. I set out for pizza but found a chikfilet. So Chicken sandwiches all around. Very nice. Cole slaw, Carrot raisin salad, criss-cross fries with skins...mmmmmm.
The straw in the picture above comes from my chikfilet story. When I came up to the register I said get ready for a big order I have to feed a small circus...really. That got us talking. I noticed a lot of people were listening in. Sadly I hadn't a single prop on me. I noticed juice boxes and that they had tiny straws. I asked to have one and I took the straw and did my Human Blockhead trick...I stuck it in my nose as far as it could go. Everyone in the place came over to see. it was a hoot! Cool thing is I could breathe through it. One woman and her kids who saw it became a facebook friend tonight as a result.
This guy is a visitor at our camp.
Tomorrow, onward ho! To Albuquerque. But first a trip to Petco to get mice for Buttercup.

No comments: