Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Family First Day

Readers of this blog know that recently we have not talked much about the show. It has been about family. We have a graduation coming up and have had the awards and ceremonies that have been leading up to it. We have also had a major illness in the family. Readers know my mother had surgery today to replace a heart valve.  The surgeons at Enloe Hospital, as well as the staff, have been stellar. 
There was one moment today that was particularly touching to me; the main contact nurse for my mother who came out from time to time during the 2.5 hour surgery came out at one point to update us and then she talked about how she got to know my mom the day before and how impressed she was with her attitude and all. My father shared his deep love and connection to mom and the nurse pointed out how she could see that in my mother and in the family.  I mentioned to her at that point that my brother and sister had drove all night just so they could be here for the surgery. I said that to make the point that she raised her kids right and they love her so much that they would drive so long and sacrifice sleep and comfort to be there. Truly, they are far better kids than I for I can't count the number of family gatherings I have missed over the years because of distance and time. 
In fact, I nearly missed seeing her before surgery today and I live 25 minutes away. I was told initially things would start at noon, then 11:45. I got to the hospital at 11:25 and they were already beginning to wheel her down to surgery.   I met them right outside the elevator just as they came down.  2 minutes later and I would have missed hugging her before going in all together.
The surgery went well and after a little more waiting we were allowed to see her in the ICU. She was asleep but at least we had a chance to see her. It is amazing how many tubes and wires one person could have hooked up to them.   Meeting the staff I believe she is in good hands. 
I can't tell you how grateful we are for the prayers from so many people.  I may have offended some people by asking them not to "think" of her but to pray for her. And I will explain why I did that. In my mind (an you may differ, that is fine) a thought is an inside self or selfish thing to do. To pray means to have faith, sacrifice self, bow to a supreme being, be humble and gracious and grateful to God.  Now, I know some of my friends are not  Christians nor share anything close to my faith. I don't think any less of you as a part of creation for that. But since my faith sees an outward action with prayer and an inward action with a thought, and barely an action at that, for we have thoughts constantly, I prefer prayer.   I might have offended a couple of my Facebook "friends" for I lost a few after making the request for prayer not thought (about 50).  But I suppose that means they were never really friends. 
So thank you all who prayed for my mother and continue to do so. And please if I can pray for you, never hesitate to ask. 

In regards to the show we have been asked by our VA fair booking to expand our show to add T Master Robot Ranger and we have had some inquiries for some open dates so our tour might be expanding. 

Tomorrow will be busy...MRI for my back issues in the morning, visit mom by lunch, try to launch new web pages for the Penny Farthing Bike Attraction and the T Master Robot Ranger Attraction, and then graduation for Miles. Hopefully my siblings will be able to make the graduation ceremony. Miles surrogate Uncle JC will be coming down from Paradise to attend; what a guy. You can't ask for a better friend. 

Somewhere in there business phone calls, emails, and other correspondences will happen. 

Blessed with a good family and friends and a gracious God I wish you a good night. 

No comments: