Sunday, June 17, 2012

Murphy Has his Law Day

Happy Father's Day!
We woke-up in Wyoming and with a tail wind we started our trek east and south. At our first gas stop I noticed the spare tire we had placed on the trailer from yesterday's tire blow out had a bubble or bulge on the side. I pushed on it and there was no doubt the tread was separating from the tire; a blow out waiting to happen.  We were blessed, however, because the Flying J we were at had a tire shop and they had plenty of tires that fit.  So for father's Day I bought myself two trailer tires.  (Later in the day we would notice that the sister tire on the other side of the trailer had a balding spot .....many possible causes. So at the RV park tonight the boys changed the bad with the good and all is now better. )

The plains were hit with strong winds today and the boys in the van noticed my awning on the RV was trying to open when the 30 mph gusts blew. We learned a couple of years ago to tie the upper part of the awning down (why they don't come with some kind of top fastener I don't know). So again we pulled off the road and the two big boys tied the awning top bars down.  About 10 minutes later there was an RV trailer parked on the hwy off ramp with it's awning ripped off and the upright bars hanging from the side.  A tip for any of you who plan to RV.

My mother will get home from the hospital tomorrow from the infection. Now she can get back to healing from the heart surgery. I called my dad to wish him a Happy Dad Day and he was in good spirits since his honey-pie will be coming home free of infection tomorrow.

OK, so in Wyoming we fixed the tires. In Nebraska we tied down the awning. Think it would be over? Nope, on the hwy in Missouri Mami and the kids notices some kind of rope like thing flapping and banging around on the windows.  The boys radioed up to me and told me the screw cover weather stripping had blown out of their groove and was flapping in one section.  We pulled off onto a lonely Missouri country road and I climbed up and started tucking it back into it's slot. Jim did it from the bottom. Fortunately, when I changed it two years ago I used silicon at the top to seal it and that saved us from loosing it all together.

CC called from KY and it has been a headache figuring how we are going to get her from Bowling Green to Clarksville, TN. It's only 90 minutes away but it could be a million miles without a way. Our first idea was for her to get a room in BG and I pick her up the morning of the shows (the shows are at night.) But BG hotels don't rent to anyone under 21. So we have a friend working on that end. But I haven't heard back so we have plan "B" ready.  We will leave where we are now (about 8.2 hours from Clarksville) really early and get to the fairgrounds, drop off the equipment, get the fam to the hotel then I drive the 90 minutes to BG and pick her up.  Her coach from track is driving her the 2 hours from Berea to BG. Nice guy! Saved me a longer drive, right?!

Last year we had a problem where the "brake" and "ABS" lights would come on. We paid two mechanics in two states to look at the problem and after changing sensors and poking around the light still periodically comes on.  I have explored possibilities....two choices...one the power steering pump, which powers the brakes has an issue ( i do feel a tiny change in the steering wheel when the diodes light up OR the squeaking driver's side wheel (which squeaks most the time but not all the time even thought the brake pads are fine might have something to do with it.  Maybe brake dust clogs the sensor?????????????????

The helper at the RV park surprised me in that his profile looks like my dad. He is bigger than my dad but has a strong resemblance. Ironically he used to live just 30 minutes from our winter home in California.  (Our summer home is an RV.)

In the RV Mami did a church service with the kids and I listened to a a great preacher on the radio who was addressing not giving up. Using Elija as an example when he laid under the broom tree and asked just to die. But he was feed by angels and regained his strength.  The preacher pointed out a couple of things.  Never write and important letter when you are tired (worn out). Never quit a job when you are tired. Never judge your spiritual condition when you are tired and never judge others when you are tired. I'm dong a terrible job explaining his point.  Needless to say he pointed out how conditions in our life can weary us and instead of whining and giving up "keep on"...don't give up. For we were made for better things and that is for God.

I have left things out from the past few days but will elaborate when I have more time. I have to get up at 5:30 tomorrow meaning one half hour earlier than to day and add an extra hour lost from going into the central time zone.
Cheers...KEEP ON!







No comments: