Sunday, September 5, 2010

A couple of Forgotten items:

First: My search for a good east cost donut (doughnut) may be over. While getting one at the store yesterday I mumbled something about there being no descent east coast donuts. I was over heard by a woman who, without looking at me, said, "Atkins Farms". They have a booth at the fair and they had donuts there. Alas they were cake donuts not doughnuts or raised donuts. But the man there said they did in fact have raised donuts at their farm and the farm is only 15 minutes away. We will try it one of these mornings.
Second: I forgot to mention something about the soda fountain in NC. (see the NC blog) The old woman who worked there was kind enough, but as I mentioned, she made everything from powders and mixes. Stopping every few seconds to check the instructions written on cards that were taped to the plastic sneeze guard around the soda fountain. After making our smoothies...pouring the premade mix into ice then using a blender to crush and mix the ice and mix, she asked, "How's that smoothie?" Her tone and body language was kind of proud, like she had made it from scratch. I only mention this because the whole scene keeps popping up in my head and I find myself laughing.
Update: Jim's toe is pretty ugly to look at but there is no infection and he is doing well, even doing the stilt walking and ladder stunts.

No comments: