Wednesday, September 29, 2010

First Day of Shows In Las Cruces (The Crosses)

First Day of performances here at the SNMSF and we have had nothing but fabulous audiences. Really not a sour one in the bunch. We are doing four show today and the next couple of days for the school kids. Very polite people her in southern NM...sorta Kentucky-ish that way. Very warm and dray like home here. But the sweat is the same.
Since Cynthia ran off to college away from the circus the others have been taking over her slots. Here Princess Amelia is doing the sword suspension. She loves doing it. Normally we don't repeat a trick in a day but she wanted to do it again so here she is.



While in town today I found a Halloween store and went in with the intention to find an outfit Uncle Eddie had wanted. But they didn't have it. However I did find an MC Hammer outfit and since Jim does the "Can't Touch This" juggling dance routine I picked it up. I went over big at the show.

Belle got a new outfit too. The dog show trainer is going to work with us tomorrow and teach Belle a few new tricks.




Miles made up an improvised POI tying strings to reading lights. Nick snapped this awesome picture.


Here is our set at night.







Remember the carnival set up pix we blogged the other day...same angle but all set up.






Bug off the day....he was flying around our backstage annoying me like crazy. After taking his picture he left me alone.
The new ladder came for the RV. It says it is a universal Ladder but of course it needed all kinds of tweaking to really work for us. I had to use the old ladder's upper section and saw 4" off one part of another section. But it looks great now. I was glad I had the glassing putty as I needed to plug a few of the old ladder's screw holes. The paint I found was a good match too. That took much of my day.
The little ones did their homework and watched some of the other shows. Like the dog show. The folks there are nice and I hope to catch their show myself soon.
Mami's cold seems so much better today. She recovers quickly......humph! I still have cough fits from mine.....so jealous ...but really I am happy for her.
We have been having a brain storm of new ideas for the show these past few days. Wait til you hear what we have coming for next year. it is going to be the best year ever! God has sure sent inspiration down on all of us at the same time.
This year is a record year for us and we will break the 6 figure mark in gross income from the show alone for the first time. However, it is also a record year in expenses as travel costs and other expenses have been through the roof....so we we still be poor even before the tax man comes for us. But this year has been the most wild, adventurous, crazy, exciting, stressful, fun year we have ever had. Too bad that Discovery thing didn't work out...they would've loved this year!
Interesting, when I started writing this a band was playing oldies form the 70s off in the distance and the lights and sounds of the carnival were all about me. But right this moment it's all dark and quiet. A bug or two have flittered by and the sound of RV water heaters are going full. We have string lings and RV porch lights on but I really want those plastic chili pepper lights for next year.
I forgot to mention, mostly because I was drugged, but yesterday I had around 15 minor back spasms then all night and today sciatica. Thank you Dr. Bowen for saving my sanity with the pain.
I picked up a Las Cruces chapter of the Tea Party T-shirt today. So far I have a Cincinatti one and a NM one. Wonder if I can get an OK one. It's sad that some poepl paint the Tea Party as racist and mean...haven't met personally a single one who was racist, mean or nasty. Most are just folks angry about BIG government. My cashier at Home depot told me she though we should do things the way Canada does things....it's all free up there. She has no idea. So I asked her how she would like if say she made $100 and the government took 65% for those "free" programs...we she prefer to bring home $100 or $35. She's now a tea party girl.
Tomorrow our tight rope comes.....yeah!

No comments: