Saturday, September 25, 2010

On the Road to Las Cruces-Bye Bye TX Hello NM

The sign I am holding below I bought for James at the Gift Shop at Ft Amarillo RV Park. A very nice place with very nice people. 5 magic hats! (My new rating system)
We had a great two days in Amarillo but decided to move on. We will spend the next couple of days in Albuquerque, NM then continue on to Las Cruces for the Southern New Mexico State Fair. From what I understand we will be getting out of Albuquerque not too soon as the Balloon Festival starts this coming week and the town will be overwhelmed with people, rvs, balloons, and the like.

If I may jump back a day. This is the start of the fiberglass repair I did on the RV. By days end I had it looking pretty nice. I will do the rest (the back panel) when I get back to Cali. There is a bent square tubing that will need to be straightened and that means pulling the whol panel off before I can do the fiberglass and bondo work.


As I mentioned yesterday I had Nick change the hose that runs from the gas tank inlet to the gas tank. here is what the hose looked like It's metal reinforced so it was nearly impossible to force open enough for gas to pass through. That meant fillups at the station took much time each time we had to put gas in.
It was quiet a job finding the hose though I think most auto parts stores had them They aren't listed under parts for my vehicle. An old timer at a parts store in Dodge City went in the back and brought a new one out guessing and cross checking in his head. The kids who work at the chain parts stores don't have practical repair experience to think like the old timer.
Nick did a great job changing it. I envy being able to crawl around under a vehicle like I did when I had a decent back. Oh well.
Today's drive went swimmingly and we had a great time. The little ones mostly studied. Mami got to see the painted desert for the first time. One thing nice is that it isn't Windy like Amarillo and Dodge City. Haven't seen a fly yet either...yeah! We gave Mami an break and had fast food for lunch. But for dinner Mami made a great Chili-soup and hot fresh cornbread. I made a salsa...not too spicy...but nice.
The Super Walmart here had green chili peppers for sales by the guni-sack. Then you take them outside and they roasted them for you. Smelt like pot smoking at first. Maybe the roasters were ...aw never mind.
The RV park we are at is probably the best one we have come to so far. I will write more about that tomorrow.
This town is very pretty and looking down on it during sunset was awesome.
Miles and Nick tired a Jalapeno (raw) just for kicks. It's been a while for both since they have had capsasin so the burn was tough on both of them . But they liked it none the less.

No comments: