Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Early Report

Since we will be doing an evening program and then turning in as soon as we get back to the hotel since we are taking off for New England again at 5am I will give a brief report of the day.
Today was supposed to be a half day off. But I think in my heart I knew that wasn't going to happen. An Innocent walk with the dog lead to a series of fortunate events. First I found a dog groomer right across the street and Belle needed a bath and touch up grooming bad. So there she went for an hour. I also found a barber next to that so I sent up an appointment at 2 for Nick and Miles. I also found a bakery next to that and got apple jack (a pastry) and some fudge cookies for the kids. I also found a great cake for Olivia who turns five tomorrow.
Turned out the hotel hasn't washing machines so Eddie and I drove down to the next town (A Mayberryish place) and did five loads of Laundry. While waiting I found another barber and got my haircut there. The place reminded me of the place I got my haircut when I was a boy in the 70s. Same faded wall panelling too. The barbers were very nice and very country. I got the history of the area and small talk about Cali and other stuff.
Before the barber, however, we found a drug store with a soda fountain. My disappointment was the soda fountain is a modern thing. It was sterile plastic. There was even a really high sneeze guard and the seats were just a tad too low for the counter. All the "fountain" offers weren't from scratch but from mixes and powders. So our peach smoothie was a a syrup added to ice in a blender. It tasted fine but it was phony.
On the drive back we stopped by a very modern grocery store which seemed out of place in the hills. It was big and fancy. The clerk, however, was good and old fashion. Her name was Granny and she could talk the ear off a wooden Indian. She had stories and opinions about everything and when I tried to get a word in edgewise I failed... she was a champion in gab.
Our show tonight will be a Christian Outreach in type and will be at New Life Christian Church in Asheville.

No comments: