Sunday, August 15, 2010

Bye Bye Quassy-

Well, today we finished our 2 week run in Middlebury, CT. For the most part it was an awesome two weeks...but it flew by. Read in a report that Ct is the "unhappiest state" and I can believe it. Though we know and met many happy people here I have to confess CT is a high stress, low joy place. Stores could use the secret shopper program out here. By that I mean clerks really seem not to care about the customers or their job. Though I did hunt out and find the coolest clerk in CT. A lovely older black woman who really tried to spread joy to all her costumers. She works at the Wal-mart in Waterbury. I only bring up this whole joyless thing because at one point today I walked across the amusement park and didn't see one single happy face. SO I was determined I would smile at everyone and say as many kind things as I could without sounding and being phony. Can't be sure if it worked but I did see more happier faces actually be amused at the park afterwards. It isn't like that all the time here. It's just noticeable here more so than other places. CT has Cali beat for putting their shopping carts away, though. In fact, I think Cali is 50 out of 50 in not returning their shopping carts. Here in CT I have rarely seen a shopping cart left out.

(((Cynthia wanted to report that she forgot to report yesterday that the toilet in her room (which she shares with the three older boys) overflowed. It was like a DNC convention and it was all over the place.)))))

The skies today threatened rain all day but only opened up for sprinkles a couple of times. That may have scared off a few folks and even played into the lack of happy faces. It has been unusual cool here. A sharp contrast from last year. Last year it was very very hot and humid....check out our blog from last year.

We had our farewells today as well. The girls said goodbye to the two boat captains, Linny and Capt Armand today. Linny was working at another part of the park but made it a point to stop by and give the girls a little gift and Capt. Armand came in on his day off. He even convinced his wife, who never comes to the park, to come and meet those sweet little girls who entertained him so.
The little ones also hit a bunch of rides today. One of the benefits of performing at an amusement park.
Jim had a few admirers swing by and say goodbye.
I said farewell to the owners, the man who hired us and the shop boys. Wayne, the guy who fixed our RV generator Carb problem and did a number of projects for me and the show was the last of the shop boys who saw us off. Marty, Rui, Sweede, the cats, oh, I can't recall all their names. I said goodbye to them all. They either came over intentionally to see us or I stopped by there.
There were also a good number of employees who came in to see our last shows and bid us well.
All in all this year's weather made this year so much nicer than last year. We know the area better due to our time last year and that made things nicer too. We avoided the expensive places and we knew where to get the best pizzas.
It seems it rains the last day of each of the venues we performed at this year, except Beech Bend. I actually like it because it washes the RV off. Tomorrow is supposed to have light showers too. But should clear up by show time in NY.
We will leave very early, again. But it's only 3 hours...barrring traffic, accidents, and any number of other unforeseen events. I must confess I always have butterflies two days before moving to the next stop. But once the vehicles are loaded and we are on the way A kind of truckers calm comes over me.
We loose CC to College next week and we gain Uncle Eddie. It should be an interesting week.

No comments: