Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Rain Out...Lobster...Skype

Mama always said rain is just angels crying because I've been a naughty boy. Well, I must have been really bad because it rained ALLLLL day today. In the picture to the left Amelia, Sayako, and Victor Enjoy a chip or two while waiting for what would not come all day, the rain to stop.

Since our first show wasn't until 3pm we figured we would have enough time in the morning to do the Walmart run, pick up the kids at the RV and then see a Lighthouse. Well, I got up an hour later than I wanted to. The Eddie came into my room and said, "I think i better go see a doctor". He has been having a sore throat all summer and recently started seeing light blood in his phlegm. So the schedule was reworked and he was dropped off at the local ER. Then there was an annoyance that we had yet to see in Maine...traffic. Back to back down hwy 1...Main Street. That killed 45 minutes. By the time we got close to the hotel the lighthouse and lobster plan went out the window and McDonald's was on the menu. I had also hoped to stop by the Verizon store next to the hotel to get a G3 card for my computer to access the Internet anywhere. I actually thought I had time for that because My watch was saying 5 after 12. Ten minutes later it was still saying 5 after 12....the stem on my watch somehow got pulled. It was really five to one and we needed to leave by 1 for the fairgrounds. Rush hour!
In spite of the rain we headed up the hill from the coast. We left Mami and Titus behind due to the weather. The fairgrounds surprisingly had quite a few cars in the parking lot. But, as the weather continued to get worse and showed no signs of stopping those braves souls who ventured out here headed for home. Still we were there at 3pm and dressed in our street clothes we went ahead and did a few things int he rain. The fair manager, Tino Wallenda, and 4 people from the parking lot watched us eat fire, juggle a bit and do bullwhip tricks.




Waiting for the rain to pass I drank a Moxie, the first ever soft drink, while Belle keeps me and herself warm.


Buddy Savage and I under the awning as the rain came down. I gave him a bottle of wine from my hometown. he is an vintner.




Fire-blowing in the rain. You can't see it but the rain in is coming down in steady streams.




You can kinda see the rain falling as Miles warms himself with his fire-whip.







The red circle shows the finger trap that Miles had just whipped out of my hands with his all weather whip.
Notice the crowd...or lack of crowd. If this were Texas the stand would be full.





After the show we swung by Jess' market for Lobster....4.99 per lb this year....We also bought a couple $7.99 hard shell lobsters. We also had muscles.










Soon to be lobster red then eaten. MMMM with butter and garlic salt.








Amelia bravely touches a lobster. Notice she has lost yet one more tooth. Preparing for a move to Kentucky I suppose.









Nick is attacked by a rubber lobster. That is Polly our rubber lobster I've had for years and rides on my dashboard.










Eddie enjoys the succulent lobster.










Sayako enjoying Lobster.














Poly and Sayako....no it's not real.





A few other notes of the day.
We bumped into the Wallenda's at Walmart. Tino was on a snack run.
We Skyped Cynthia today and got to meet her roommate and get a tour of her dorm room. They have the biggest dorm room on campus. Cynthia tried out for the Black Ensemble Choir and made it. She said that people seem to think that she is whatever race she is around with at the time. White people think she is white; Black people think she is black; etc. She is doing well and classes kick in tomorrow. Her books ran $600...daddy will have to pay that. Weep weep.
As I went out to the car this evening to get snacks out for the kids I noticed the Verizon store next door had lights on so I walked over in the mist to see the hours. The owner noticed me peering in and recognized me as stopping by earlier (it was too busy and I had no time earlier.) She invited me in and I finally bought the Internet usb thingy that will give me access to the Verizon Data stream. I now have the Internet almost anywhere. My emails can finally be sent. My videos can finally be uploaded. I have wi-fi where others only dream. I will test it at the fair.
I tried the fair manager's wine today and found his "Red Gate" (I think) was really nice. I will buy 6 bottles for myself and as gifts for others. Hard to believe there are actual wineries in Maine.
Well, the rain is just a mist now and tomorrow promises to be beautiful. God bless to you all.


No comments: