Friday, July 30, 2010

Big Crowds! Hot Wings!

The week is flying by. We beat weather odds and had beautiful days almost everyday. It ever really got too hot or too humid and today was nearly like a California Spring day. Very Nice!

Pre-show meant another laundry day for me. I went to the Fluff and Fold and washed mostly costumes today. It was very busy today, unlike two days ago. It was filled with colorful characters. At one point when I was unloading my dryer I saw an item fall from the corner of my eye. I thought it was one of our items, a pair of the little one's underpants. WRONG! Just after I picked it up I realized they were in fact a somewhat stained pair of thong underpants that had fallen from the dryer next to mine. The very rotund deaf woman who they belonged might have been offended when I realized my mistake and drop them. Now I didn't mean to grimace as I let them go but I was really truly horrified and was at a complete loss of words when I dropped them. For the next couple of minutes my mind could not escape reliving the moment over and over again and I am not sure but I think each time I did I grimaced again!



New Hair do for Olivia.



We made it to the fairgrounds and found everything already abuzz with vendors, carnies, and 4-h folks preparing their day. The girls, Mami and Titus went for a stroll and the girls got a free "duck" creature from one of the booths. Amelia got a "pig-duck" and Olivia got a "rocker-duck".
This nail was a chalenge nail. A "stalker" (a person who comes to a lot of shows...it's a good term when used by us) brought this and presented it to me when I was doing my Human Block head trick. At first I said, "no". But after doing my routine I decided to give it a try. I was worried about the file like ribs on the nail. Since my nostrils were moist from the stunt it wasn't a big chore getting it in. Pulling it out went slowly due to the saw like nature of the nail....but I did it!


After the show Belle and I kicked back for a while as the kids packed up.




Cynthia snapped a pix of me after I put up rope and caution tape to keep our stage from being used or abused while we are away. Looks like I have lost some weight.




Wings and Rings Sports Bar and Grill was the source of our chili -head challenge. We like to try the hottest wings a shop has to offer.
We got mild for the kids and "very Hot" and "atomic" for us.
Mild was nothing more than fried chicken. Very hot was alright but not earth shattering or sweat making. Atomic was sneaky. At first it was just a bit hotter than Very hot, but then after eating the wing the after burn kicks in and it burned good. Still not the hottest we've had...but good.


Nick loved the atomic sauce and finished it off with the celery. He built up a nice glistening sweat.







Victor chowed down on Mild.






I still don't completely understand the crowds here. During the demolition derby, a bike race, and the tractor pulls (and our show) they just sit on their hands. Today we had really big crowds. Over 200 blocked the walkways and driveways around us to watch the last show. As the show progressed they crowds grew and grew. But getting them to clap or respond is a lot of work. With prodding and a few hints a few times I was able to pull teeth or in this case pull applause out of them. They smile, they watch, they gather, they compliment, but they don't respond. Still tons of compliments and people who stick around and chat with us. It's wild. Our boss and all the fair board have said feedback has been really big and really positive.
A shout out to our London, Ky friends who taught the kids the Ninja game.....we are still playing it.
Cynthia has met her future dorm room mate on line yesterday. Since we haven't got her papers yet her room mate has filled her in on the dorm building, room, etc.

No comments: