Thursday, July 29, 2010

Over the Hump!

This big moth (wingspan over 4") was on our stage this morning. he died there. The picture doesn't do his beauty justice. The coloring and eye design on the lower wing are beautiful.

We started with threatening clouds and had strong winds all day but mostly sunny. No rain! By 5pm it was all sunshine but that dang wind. Makes fire-eating, juggling, and balancing a wheel barrow on your face tough. Still we pulled it off.

Before the show I had to take care of resupplying our show with cinder-blocks, rabbit food, sweet tea, and other sundry items. So it was that 10 minute drive to Walmart.

The morning started off with me being a bit grumpy. All I wanted to do was get away for a while so the trip to Walmart was well timed. When I got in the car I felt bad about being grumpy so I laid it all at God's feet and prayed hard. I also read a little scripture. Then an ease came over me. And the day suddenly became wonderful. Everything fell into place. Why, Walmart even had a stack of cinder blocks they were giving away. What were the chances of that?


I also picked up a water mellon with yellow flesh....not pink. I didn't tell the kids. Instead I gathered everyone around and video taped them all as we cut it open.

I thought of you JC when I did that (JC is my best friend and is reading this right now back in Paradise Cali). JC did a magic trick with just such a yellow watermelon years ago. I forgot what trick it was and wished I had remembered so I could've pulled it on the family...email me dude.


Mr Grenko who runs many of the concessions, including the pony rides gave the kids a free pony ride. Way cooler than a carousel. Smells more authentic too.
Titus had a blast. Back in Cali he went to Handi-riders, a place where special kids can ride horses as a form of therapy. He loves it.
The audiences were big today but very quiet. The crowds would grow and grow as the shows went on, and they had smiles on their faces...but they would sit on their hands. It seems to be a trend with the locals from towns nearby. But folks from Owensville, and those who come in from Cincinnati are totally different. Usually only the 2pm show has been that way. Today all three had the hand sitter elements. Yet the responders were enough to make us not feel bad with the low response. Again many compliments after every show.
The 5pm show, where we have to take a second sound system and a ton of equipment from our stage to their entertainment tent, had an extra surprise. The band that was to appear at 7pm had already began setting up their drums and sound system. They took over 2/3 of the stage away (it's only 24 feet wide. That left us with just about 8' X 8' to do our show. So we cut anything big and I had to watch my fire eating and blowing so that I missed their stuff, missed the audience, and the tent. It was a headache. I had to apologize to the audience for the set up as the audience was lined up the whole width of the tent and those on the 2/3 band side of the stage had to suffer from their angle. No apologies came from the band and they actually lied telling me the fair manager told them to set up then and there. (The manager told me earlier that the band request to set the drums up on stage..that's all...not the whole system...in fact, he was a bit perturbed at the band for doing that. I got the impression from they might not be coming back to the fair in the future. )
We pulled off a descent show none the less. We drew a huge crowd and the everything went swimmingly. Still the hand sitters were present, but so were the responders and that made it better.
Two days to go then it's marathon 14 hour drive to CT. Today marked shows 70-72!
Cynthia spent the afternoon as teacher to the smallerr three as they continue home schooling. She has a knack for it.
I had to finish fixing Mile's gorilla bike. That meant that I had to go to the fair's shop and use some tools to make a part for it. Smashed my thumb in the process but that's life in the shop. I'll survice. Good news is the bike is fixed.
James and Nick did some video work with the stilt cam...coming soon to the video blog.
I uploaded a new video blog on our website. Check it out. www.kentfamilymagiccircus.com/videoblog.htm

No comments: