Saturday, July 10, 2010

NAILED!

I don't know how I could've forgotten about what had to be the biggest "event" of yesterday. In it was a lesson as well.

While performing the human blockhead, the stunt where I pound a nail into my nose, I misaligned the nail for the first time in thousands of performances and I hit the nail. I noticed it didn't budge and I felt a dull thud in the back of my nostril, but no pain. I thought to myself, " I should have a bloody nose." But I was happy that it didn't bleed.

I corrected the angle and pounded the nail the rest of the way in. Then as I was talking I felt a warm trickle come out my nose. My mouth was filling up with the unmistakable taste of blood too. An audience member was the first to notice and yelled out, "you're bleeding".

I said "Hmm, I am!"

I took the nail out...it was like turning on a faucet. It flowed freely and abundantly. Fortunately I was on grass. I quickly introduced James, who by this time was on his way out instinctively knowing I was going to bring him in as an emergency cover. As I cupped my hand under my nose and mouth I spit out the crimson words, "As I go and plug this thing, please welcome Jugglin' Jim".

I performed the rest of the show with a wad of paper towel up my nose.

Do you know how hard it is to blow a fire-ball with one nostril plugged. Once the fuel is in your mouth you need your nostrils to bring in the air to blow the fire-ball.

In the end I think we did a bloody good job!

Oh, the lesson....when doing a potentially dangerous stunt never relax up.....that's when something bad came happen. Thankfully I am ambi-nostirlous...today I will use my left nostil.

No comments: