Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Bad Drivers and Towanga!

Ok, so if you have been keeping up with our blogs you know that, as mundane as it may sound, we went shopping yesterday. Well, when your life is the road shopping can be an adventure. After all you don't know the roads, you are trying to keep an eye out for your destination, and you spot all kinds of cool places you want to visit if time permits. (The mental list of those "want to visit" places always seems to get misplaced in my mind and I forget to get to them.....maybe I should just visit them when I see them.........but I digress.)
Two things you can count on when traveling and driving in places you don't know well are construction and bad or rude drivers. While doing the shopping both Cynthia and I mentioned in the previous blogs yesterday a lane closure due to construction meant we had to merge into the left lane. Not familiar with the road we discovered this well into the start of the left lane line of traffic (locals seem to know about the closures and merge long before us out of towners realize there is a merging going on. ) Well, I crept forward in the right lane until I found a vehicle that would A. let us in or B. have enough space between them and the other cars that I can slide in. Well, in Toledo "A" is rarely an option. So I found "B" . The man in the aged, rusted undercarriage 1990's tiny suv had left space between him and another car so I slowly started my merge. That was met with a horn honk. I wave an apology but that was met with an onslaught of f-bombs and hand shaking. He tried his best to wedge me out. At one point his cussing stopped long enough for me to stick my head out the window and say, " I hope you have a lot of insurance, because I do!" That stopped his "wedging" cold and I merged in. Though his cussing and "finger shaking" didn't end there.
I didn't intentionally try to make him have a bad day or cut him off. I never cussed or gave him a bad gesture. I even apologized but, what can you do? I do like how the realization of the potential cost of ones actions brings brief moments of sanity.
By the way, you are wondering how Towanga fits into this you need to watch "Fried Green Tomatoes".....by insurance line closely ties in.

No comments: