Friday, June 24, 2011


We were planning on going into Louisville today but decided to visit Cave City and the Mammoth Cave national Park. We found a quaint RV park ran by a nice Christian couple and settled in. The we went the 8 miles to the caves. On our way we saw a rock and gift shop and had to stop. We bought a couple of nick knacks but if I told you what some of you won't be surprised when we main them to you.
We had a choice of a couple of tours. We decided on the shortest one which was about an hour. After all it would required time and energy from the little ones...and patience. The other tour choice for the times left was a 2 hour tour....a bit too long.

We had an hour to kill before the tour so we went on some of the above ground trails which proved to be very nice indeed.
Since the caves could not accommodate wheel chairs Titus would not be able to go so I stayed with him. He and I strolled the grounds as hundreds of feet below us the rest of the fam were blasted by freezing air, told stories of all types, including one of a dead body being found once, and learning about bats and cave science.
A highlight for me today was I finally got to hang up and use my awning lights...my pepper awning lights. We made it a ceremony with pictures and an official plugging in.
There is a game here a lot like horseshoes except you have two golf balls connected on opposite ends of a 10" or so rope that you toss at a rack with three horizontal cross bars. If you can get it to stay on the bar you get points. We didn't take pictures ...maybe tomorrow.
Cynthia kicked Mami out of the kitchen today and took over dinner cooking. I took care of Titus earlier, and we forced her to go play that game I mentioned. Also we made he go in a chit chat with the owners for a while. In other words we gave her the day off. She enjoyed her chat with the owner of the RV park very much. We need to do that more often.
I suppose I will share a more embarrassing part of the day. It was probably good I did not go on the tour. You see about 5 minutes after they entered the cave and I was pushing Titus around in his chair a sudden and painful gas bubbled took a tour of my colon caves. That was followed by a sudden and frantic trip to the restroom, me Titus and Belle in tow. It would happen again and again during the hour the kids and Mami were on tour underground. YIKES. When they finally came up I rushed everyone to the van and drove straight to the park's store. Thank you Imodium.




After getting back we had dinner and Cynthia, Olivia and I ran to the store for tomorrows provisions. Amazing how in KY you can be in the wild wilderness of the caves and drive 12 minutes to a Super Walmart.
It was a good day....mostly, uh, um.










No comments: