Wednesday, June 1, 2011

OHIO!

Ok, this is a day late and I plan on being cheap and cram today's blog in with yesterday's! Maybe cheap is the wrong word. Conserving time, might be better.
When we left the Burlington Area of WI (by the way the Baymont Inn In Waterford, WI) is great for traveling working families. I give it my highest ratings.) I had no intention of drving through Chicago. Traditionally I drive around it to avoid the rotten roads and really high tolls. The extra driving time used to be worth it. But with gas soooooo high we decided to do it. We ended up saving about two hours as traffic was really light. And since we didn't drive the hwy 90 rte along the boarder of WI and IL we missed out on that toll. But boy was the toll high. Even on the Indiana and Ohio turnpikes! I think they have almost doubled in the past year. I can't imagine what it must cost a commuter in these parts to do those drives often. And you would think you would get a nice road since they are making millions off the drivers to maintain it right? Nope. There was one spot on 90 near the IL-IN border that slammed us so hard things flew in the RV and I am surprised we didn't bend an axle on the trailers. I did however end up with a back spasm from it and had to take a pill. OUCH! I was furious. It's times like that I am glad a film crew isn't with us. They would have seen a side of me I like to keep private....the angry Kent!
We arrived at my cousin's house in Sylvania,OH (Sylvania means "wooded area" and fits this area) in the early evening. We lost an hour crossing into Ohio...or was it Indiana? Anyways, we arrived shaken and stirred. It was grand see the cousins and their kids and even their dogs. The grandest thing was seeing my 19 year old daughter again.
Belle was nervous about meeting the other dogs at first but faired well in no time. The little ones were thrilled to see my cousins kids and have been thick as glue since our arrival. They even set up a juice stand out in front of the house and made around $3.00.
I met their very elderly neighbor who is very precise about lawn and garden. We had a lovely talk about this and that but mostly about her problem with moles. When I was a kid i found a plant that was nick-named "Gopher Perch" and it kept varmints away. I told her about it and told her I would try to find it out here. So I stopped by a nursery to ask about it. No such luck...but I will search on.
Belle went down for her haircut today and get rid of the WI mud from this past weekend. She looks the proper lady now.
Cynthia and Midori did some shopping and I did the honey-dos and get-em dones. Both Olivia and Amelia have outgrown their shoes since we have left and Jim has destroyed a pair of show shoes and running shoes. So many little things to buy when you are moving a small army along the highways. Things for the show, for meals, for life, for fun, and for the business end of things. It never ends.
Gas prices are finally reaching California levels out here. I turned on the radio news for the first time in a month and immediately was depressed. A double dip in housing prices, manufacturing numbers 1000 points lower than they expected, fuel prices up, Iraq bombings on the raise, turns out "non-american" casualties in Libya were in fact Americans, and Obama played his 70th round of golf since becoming president on Memorial Day...not to mention "urban disturbances" in Florida and Nashville over the long weekend leaving many hurt or dead. YIKES...... No more radio for a while.
One cool thing is that every spare moment the kids are practicing juggling, acrobats, etc. Jim is teaching Nick to "pass" clubs. and Midori has picked up juggling too. Brandon, My cousin's son, is a gymnast, and has been working with the boys on some acrobatic stuff.
Groovy day.
One interesting note. My bank doesn't have any branches in 22 states and this is one of them. I had to drive into MI today to make a deposit.


No comments: