Friday, July 6, 2012

Father-Son Tandem SJ Escape and more

As I write this I have just finished a fabulous homemade stroganoff and am sitting comfortably with the anxieties of the day gone and the refreshing feeling that comes after a big adrenaline rush.

That rush came about 2 hours ago when Victor Jr (10) and I (47) did a tandem strait jacket escape.  We used Posey brand medical restraint jackets. They are made for restraining patients...they are not made for magicians.  There are several magic shops that make gimmicked and ungimmicked Strait jackets. There are also adult toy shops that put out SJs. The major difference is the comfort of the jacket and extra strappings on the jacket to keep one from getting their arms over their heads.  Most people who perform this use the non-medical type but escapologists (people serious about escapes) use the Posey type.   We have hyped the  stunt for several days and have even put out press releases but alas no one from the press showed up. That was in spite of one reporter contacting me back but for whatever reason never showed up.  But that is life I suppose.  Still we got great video and photos and will use them for our own publicity.  

We did the escape in 105 temp with a heat index of 111. The funny thing was just as we reached height it started to sprinkle. I really didn't notice until I got out and felt the large drops hitting my body on the way down.  

It has been almost 5 or 6 or even 7 years since I went upside down for the escape. And int he past I admit I had used magician style jackets.  My last year doing it I had gotten a Posey and used a real SJ, but that was some time ago.  I think the jacket shrunk since my last use of it. It was SNUG!

It was ironic and quite cool, since our escape style are different, that Victor Jr and I stayed neck and neck and got out at nearly the exact second.   The applause was nice.

As for the rest of the day:  Victor jumped rope on the tight rope for the first time in public. That is a big milestone as well. That was at the first show.

Nick did a splendid job on the trapeze always garnering gasps from the audience during ankle drops and swing ankle drops.  I feel sorry for him as he has to perform in the heat of the shelter height. Maybe 20 degrees more than ground level. i am sure the occasional care packages he gets from his girlfriend back home lifts his spirits.

Yesterday James re-added the "balancing the BBQ grill on his face. An audience favorite.  It produces a lot of smoke and since we are under a metal roof cone shaped shelter the smoke builds up and poor Nick had to perform in it. He asked that we change the order due to breathing problems that come from that.

Mami and Titus stayed at the hotel today due to the super high heat.  You have all probably read or heard on the news how harsh the heat is out here this year.   I won't lie and say it isn't hard.  But we do have a little extra time between the 2nd and last show so some of us hit the water park and cool down.  A few of us don't.  I notice the happier folks at the end of the day are the ones who did. But that's just my observation.

One fan from the place wear we get our tires and brakes done when we are out here in BG came out.  The manager of S & R Tires and his kids came to the shows today.  He is the bald man with the beard in the photos below who helped with the SJ escape. Very nice guy.   All in all we have had about 200 Facebook friends, relatives, college friends, etc. come out and seen us here at Beech Bend.
























http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B83ZDvq_xWQ&feature=youtu.be
(HERE IS THE VIDEO)

No comments: