Friday, July 13, 2012

Tragedy

I had already started to write tonight's blog earlier in the day. I had much to say about the weather, the great audiences, etc. But at 6:20pm tonight...10 minutes before our first show the concessionier next to us told me if I had heard about a tragic incident. After hearing him, without regard to what he said further I jumped from the stage and ran over to where a couple of board members stood. It was true.  Less than an hour earlier Donnie Butler, a board member, the man who was like the glue that kept the carnival and the grounds going, the gentle, kind man, had killed himself in his home.  It was a gut blow.  Less than 24 hours earlier Donnie and I had spent time chewing the fat. His son would spend time with Vic Jr every year. (He has a few special needs.) We talked as parents, as fair people and as friends. The big question that everyone asked tonight was "Why?" 
After hearing this I went straight to the RV closed myself in my room had a good cry and then went on stage. It was the hardest show I ever had to do.  I saw his face everywhere I looked. I saw it in the air, on faces in the crowd, in the props.
So I will forgo a regular blog tonight and let tonight's blog end with a prayer for Donnie, his family, and his friends. And for this town, his employees, and everyone who knew him.   The devil has ways to make our problems seem bigger than they are and like they are beyond help. He got a hold of Donnie today and drove him to the ultimate end. May God be with all who this tragedy touches. May God keep his son and wife held close to Him. 
Remember nothing is too big for Him. And the reason God gave us family, friends and acquaintances, is so that we have people to share our trouble, worries, bad times and good times with. People to talk to. 
RIP Donnie.

No comments: